Measuring the Champ

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

guymayor

Measuring the Champ

Post by guymayor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:09 am

Planning to get up the Cellon Oak Wednesday and do a tape drop while repairing a lightning system. http://tlhfor013.doacs.state.fl.us/Cham ... Detail/199

What should I do when offering info on updating data on this thing? 2 major limbs lost since last measure.

Also plan on pruning and measuring the Fairchild Oak near Daytona Beach.

Larry Tucei

Re: Measuring the Champ

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:55 pm

Guy- Awesome! I've wanted to get over to that area in Florida and measure both those trees you mention. If you measure the Height, Circumference at Breast Height and Crown Spread of the two trees I will add them to the Live Oak Project Listing. Get those measurements and a couple of photos and post the data on the BBS. That will be great and I'm looking forward to your results. I have read about both of these Live Oaks and just haven't made the trip over to document them. Anything I can help you with please don't hesitate to ask. My email tuceijr@msn.com Larry

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:14 pm

Guy,

What a great opportunity! I bet the height is off a bit and am really curious about the spread- and if it is unsupported. If you could get diameters of the major branch systems and as accurate lengths as possible we could rough some volume numbers. Also, multiple tape wraps of the main trunk would be helpful and as Larry said- lots of photos. Of course, you could use Bob Leverett's photo measuring system...

I look forward to the report!

Will

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:32 am

Guy,

Just curious if you were able to get any measurements of these great trees. Would love to see photos too!

Thanks,
Matt

Return to “Florida”