Atlantic white cedar. Florida champion.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Atlantic white cedar. Florida champion.

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:39 pm

I forgot to post this video. My wife and I made a brief visit to Blackwater River State Park in May. We were supposed to kayak the river but--believe it on not--the weather was too cold the day we went. So I ended up just doing some hiking and touring of the elevated boardwalk in the park before we found something else to do.

At any rate, the Florida state champion Atlantic white cedar is adjacent to the boardwalk and I shot a video of the tree. They say it's quite old, but not sure how old.

https://youtu.be/mxqx7PooNZM
jamesrobertsmith

Has Liked: 517 times
Has Been Liked: 117 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Atlantic white cedar. Florida champion.

Postby Larry Tucei » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:05 pm

James-   Nice video I went to Blackwater Forest several times while in NW Florida from 2005-2007.  I saw many large Atlantic White Cedar just never measured them. Looking at your video of the champ maybe I should have measured some of them. A really beautiful area and I have often thought of going back.  Larry

For this message the author Larry Tucei has received Likes :
jamesrobertsmith
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 686 times
Has Been Liked: 579 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Atlantic white cedar. Florida champion.

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:21 am

We'll go back. We try to head to Florida to go kayaking at least once a year. Blackwater River was high on our list so, and remains so.
jamesrobertsmith

Print view this post

#4)  Re: Atlantic white cedar. Florida champion.

Postby addy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:33 pm

There's a swamp in Ocala National Forest that contains the southernmost known White Cedar stand.  It's located in Juniper Prairie Wilderness Area at the headwaters of a small partially spring fed creek called Mormon Branch.  It's described by Mary Byrd Davis (in Old Growth In The East: A Survey) as containing white cedars to 3' DBH and several other botanical rarities.  I'm sure there are some champion contenders in there.  It's little visited as access is difficult, the creek is narrow fast flowing and very obstructed and the surrounding scrub near the road (SR19) is pretty thick.  I've yet to attempt approaching it from the west where the scrub looks more open and there are some old NFS roads to follow.  Its the wetland just below the 'FOREST' text on the attached USGS topo detail.  

If you haven't gone down the adjacent Juniper Springs run yet, its absolutely magnificent.
Attachments
MormonBrachUSGStopo.JPG

For this message the author addy has received Likes :
jamesrobertsmith
addy

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 7 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Atlantic white cedar. Florida champion.

Postby Larry Tucei » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Addy-    Thanks for the info looks like someone should get in there during the winter and break some records!  Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 686 times
Has Been Liked: 579 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Atlantic white cedar. Florida champion.

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:19 pm

I kayaked through the Juniper Prairie Wilderness. An amazing place. We saw so much wildlife. At one point we rounded a bend and there along the right bank was a raccoon washing some food it was eating, a wild turkey, and several white-tailed deer. Not so unusual each on their own, but to see them all in one spot, all to be photographed in a single frame. That's the kind of wildlife opportunity I normally think of happening only out west.

Before we started one of the rangers told us to look for a particularly large alligator. He said that it was usually sitting on the right back about 1/2 mile before the take-out point. When we got there we saw only an empty, well used slid. No gator. A week after we got back home it killed a young woman--I think she was sixteen years old.
jamesrobertsmith

Print view this post

#7)  Re: Atlantic white cedar. Florida champion.

Postby ElijahW » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:22 pm

James Robert,

I just watched your video and am confused.  I'm assuming this cedar is the champion listed from Okaloosa County.  According to the Florida big tree site, it's supposed to be 63' tall and 119" in circumference.  Maybe my perspective is way off, but I don't see how those dimensions are possible.  I can see the trunk length being 63', but vertical height is different from trunk length.  Nearly 10' CBH seems unlikely.  Am I way off on this?  What was your impression of the tree?

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

For this message the author ElijahW has received Likes :
tsharp
ElijahW

Has Liked: 209 times
Has Been Liked: 256 times
Print view this post

Return to Florida