A HUMONGOUS Tulip in Brandywine Park, not Brandywine SP

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

BeeEnvironment2020

A HUMONGOUS Tulip in Brandywine Park, not Brandywine SP

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:12 pm

Hello Everyone,
I recently had the pleasure of heading down to Brandywine Park (Entrance by Brandywine Zoo, or from Conaty Park on Gilpin Ave.) off of North Dupont Street in Wilmington DE. This park is to not be confused with Brandywine Creek SP, as this park is completely different and further south on the river.
I traveled here a few times when I was younger, and I was always surprised with the huge Northern Red Oaks and tall Tulips on the slopes of the hills heading down to the Brandywine.
Anyway, I went here the other day, taking the paved walkway from Gilpin street down, passing through second-growth and young forest. However, when you go under the Park Drive bridge, I started to see many amazing tulips and red oaks, some seeming to tower over 150, maybe 160 feet!
One Tulip I was always fond of, growing near a pavillion on a steep slope is the largest tulip I have seen in my life!!
Here is an image of the largest I've seen, easily over 20 feet in CBH!:
The HUGE Tulip tree near the walk-way. As you can see, it is indeed huge!!
The HUGE Tulip tree near the walk-way. As you can see, it is indeed huge!!
Another photo, this time vertically taken:
Another image. The tree has some taper, but it is almost straight for about 70 feet before a branch!
Another image. The tree has some taper, but it is almost straight for about 70 feet before a branch!
Here is a view up the tulip. It was hard to get a really good photo because my sneakers kept on slipping on the leaves and soils on the slope:
Looking up the Tulip!
Looking up the Tulip!
Here are the surroundings of the Tulip:
BrandywineTulipSurroundings-min.jpg
And look from way back to see when the first branches are encountered:
I would guess the height to be around 140 feet, though its a bit hard to tell.
I would guess the height to be around 140 feet, though its a bit hard to tell.
It really is a Beast of a tree though!! Like a "small" redwood :lol: Just amazing to stand next to :D
What would anyone think as to the age though???
Last edited by BeeEnvironment2020 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeeEnvironment2020

Re: A HUMONGOUS Tulip in Brandywine Park, not Brandywine SP

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:21 pm

Let me add that its approximate coordinates are about: 39.758656, -75.555834. Its nearby a pavillion that was recently crushed by 2 fallen trees.

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:59 pm

I haven't seen that kind of root structure on a tulip before. That is a beast!

BeeEnvironment2020

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Indeed! Its root structure is really just amazing! I am amazed it is way more than 20 feet in CBH as well! I never expected to find such a beast!

Return to “Delaware”