The Leverett White Fir

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

The Leverett White Fir

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:30 pm

All,

This rocket of a fir resides by the tall tree producing Jones Creek, which flows into Hermosa Creek. From the point at which the Hermosa Creek trail crosses Jones Creek, the tree is located much farther down Jones Creek. I'm naming the tree for Bob because I think his tall tree discoveries on Jones Creek from years past represent a major event for Hermosa to start getting recognition as tall tree country.

The tree stands at 162.4' tall with a CBH of 9'9".
Leverett White Fir 1.jpg
Leverett White Fir 2.jpg
Leverett White Fir 2.jpg (77.4 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
Matt

dbhguru

Re: The Leverett White Fir

Post by dbhguru » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:35 am

Matt,

Thanks. I humbly accept the dedication. A 162.4-foot tall white fir is not to be trifled with. The species obviously far surpasses the more modest heights we had attributed to it in Colorado. The prior record had been about 146 feet.

So, let's see. For the San Juans, we have a Rucker of:

Colorado Blue --- 165.5
White Fir --- 162.4
Ponderosa --- 162.3
Doug Fir --- 161.0
Englemann --- 152.5
SW White Pine -- 127.5
Subalpine Fir --- 118.5
Narrowleaf CW -- 117.0
Q. Aspen --- 115.0

RI-9 142.4

If we add Rio Grande Cottonwood in the valleys (San Jan Region, as opposed to in the mountains, we drop the Rucker to 139.4. I expect that all the above heights will be pushed up in time so that the San Juan Rucker will creep above 140 for the region, and probably above 143 for the mountains.

This is information and insight that exceeds what has been heretofore known. I would call this a major NTS contribution to understanding species maximums for a region. I hope we can get MSI to archive the data so that it is available to a local scientific research organization. Also, if we can meet again next year and further our documentation, maybe we can develop several height profiles that captures height to elevation achievements.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:22 pm

All,

Here are a couple more photos of the impressive Leverett White Fir. I was especially pleased to find another species that surpasses 160' at Hermosa Creek.

Also, another big thanks to Chris Earle for proactively updating his Gymnosperm Database at conifers.org. What a great site!
Outside of the Sierra Nevada, the largest known tree is 43 m tall and 184 cm dbh with a crown spread 15 m; it grows in Uinta National Forest, UT (American Forests 1996). The tallest is a tree 49.5 m tall in the Hermosa Creek roadless area, San Juan Mountains, Colorado, discovered and measured in August 2014 (Markworth 2014).
http://www.conifers.org/pi/Abies_concolor.php
L fir 5.jpg
The Leverett White Fir - huge root
The Leverett White Fir - huge root
Old horse saddle I found in Jones Creek
Old horse saddle I found in Jones Creek
Matt

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:13 pm

NTS,

On 10/4/16 I visited the mighty Leverett White Fir with the mission of getting a spread measurement and remeasuring height and girth.

Now that I have the spread I can go ahead and submit the tree to the Colorado Champion Tree List and it will assume the #3 spot on the list with 287 points. Colorado has a robust list with multiple trees listed for many species. The next day I visited the tree that currently has the #3 spot with 283 points, only to find that the tree has been cut down (it appears to have been just barely on private land). I'll inform the state coordinator of the loss, and at least we have a replacement with this tree that is by far the tallest white fir on the list.

Updated Measurements
Girth: 9'9"
Height: 163.5' (Sine method using Trupulse 200X and Trupulse 200)
Spread: 27' (Spoke method using 8 spokes, the 2-Axis method resulted in a very close 27.75' (34' x 21.5'))

Updated Rucker Index for Colorado
180.6' - Colorado blue spruce
169' - Rocky Mountain Douglas fir
165.3' - Rocky Mountain ponderosa pine
163.5' - white fir
152.5' - Engelmann spruce
133' - subalpine fir
128.1' - southwestern white pine
117' - narrowleaf cottonwood
115' - quaking aspen
112' - Rio Grande cottonwood
143.6'

Midslope of the Leverett White Fir:
IMG_8483.JPG
Matt

RayA

Post by RayA » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:39 pm

Matt,

Ol' Bob takes a lot of ribbing (at least from me), and pokes fun at himself regularly. But he really deserves a huge amount of credit and thanks for the lifetime of work he's done across the country. Heck, I'm worn out just trying to see all the places he's trodden in Western Mass! So, I think it's great that he has a fine tree named for him, he sure does deserve it. Plus, he promised to reduce the number of ice cream scoops I owe him if I said so. Thank you!

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:08 am

NTS,

I was happy to find in Nov 2019 that the Leverett White Fir survived the 416 Fire. I named it for Bob because if not for his exploits in Jones Creek I likely would not have been prompted to visit the great state of Colorado.

leverett white fir 1.JPG
leverett white fir 2.JPG
leverett white fir 3.JPG
skull.JPG

Don

Post by Don » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:10 pm

Matt-
Great find!
From what I can tell from your photos, it looks like the Leverett Pine had the advantage of being near an intermittent water source, and from it's location down low in a drainage, where it would be relatively free from inclement weather. Might be more down there!
-Don

RayA

Post by RayA » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:52 pm

Now, guys... I'm all for giving Brother Bob the credit he deserves, which is a lot. But guys, I have to tell ya, poor Monica has to go out now and buy him new hats. None of his fit anymore, they've mysteriously gotten too small.

It wasn't just Jones Creek he spent time in, he's had a lot of exploits in creeks; and fast moving rivers too. I just wish I had taken more photos of some of the most memorable ones. But here's one from 2013 of Bob fearlessly crossing the raging torrents of a wilderness river. I can still hear the pounding of the water as it crashed thru the boulders. Man, what crazy times...

Bob crosses raging river.jpg

And, I'll say this.. Bob spends as much time as it takes to accurately measure a tree; no shortcuts. Take for example this respectable maple we came upon one day ...

Maple 1.jpg

When Bob was satisfied he'd done his best, I re-photographed it ...

Maple 2.jpg

That, my friends, is dedication and perseverance. Brother Bob, you'll always be my hero. Take the credit and run.

(That should pretty much take my ice cream debt down to zero, right??).

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:00 am

Ray,

Why, I'm so surprised at you! Didn't you read the fine print on back of your contact, lower left corner, invisible ink except to the faithful? It clearly states that any attempt by the subject of said contract to escape the provisions of paragraph 2, section 3b on the front side will have his/her ice cream scoops debt immediately doubled + 2. Right there in plain gibberish.

Yes, and that funny looking dude with the orange ski cap is my stunt double. Not the faintest likeness.

Nevertheless, I, being of forgiving spirit ,excuse the above +2 above from your inviolable scoops debt. Today is your lucky day!

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

RayA

Post by RayA » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:55 am

Oh my gosh, Brother Bob ... I just realized the wrong river crossing photo got uploaded somehow. No, no, that was definitely not you. That piker can't come close. I'm so embarrassed. I blame myself.

Here's the correct photo...

Bob crosses the river.jpg

Phew, I'm so glad you caught that mistake. Surely, now my ice cream debt is paid in full.

Return to “Colorado”