No more exploring Lumpkin with Dunkin for Pumpkins.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

No more exploring Lumpkin with Dunkin for Pumpkins.

Post by M.W.Taylor » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:56 pm

I am sad to report that the entire Lumpkin Ridge area has been completely NUKED by the North Complex Fire. I heard rumors it was bad from the locals and they were not kidding. Some notable trees most likely killed are Hartman's Bar Tree, Lumpkin Lunker, Lumpkin Pumpkin, Lumkpin Leviathan and others including a 250' sugar pine with a trunk estimated to be 11' in diameter (using Google Earth's ruler tool). I did not have time to reach these trees. It is possible some may have survived.

When I traveled to the area to ground truth an 81m sugar pine I found on LiDAR in S.Fork Feather River, what I saw was horrific. Mile after mile of dead trees with nothing living in sight miles in all directions. While hiking to the tall LiDAR tree I did not hear any birds or see any wildlife. The 81m sugar pine had snapped in half and was burned up. The ground was powderized with much of the top soil burnt to a crisp. The last small rainstorm is already washing away this powdery top soil layer into the streams. Small channels are carving out all throughout the ground of this forest. Massive erosion will now take place during big rain events.

Michael Taylor
Attachments
lumpkin8.jpg
lumpkin7.jpg
lumpkin6.jpg
lumpkin5.jpg
lumpkin4.jpg
lumpkin3.jpg
lumpkin2.jpg
lumpkin1.jpg
Last edited by M.W.Taylor on Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Mark Collins

Re: No more exporing Lumpkin with Dunkin for Pumpkins. North Complex Fire Destroys Entire Region !!

Post by Mark Collins » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:41 pm

What in the world is going on out there? Seems like the fire season never ends. Here it is the beginning of December, has the rainy/snow season not begun? Just sad to hear this...

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Re: No more exporing Lumpkin with Dunkin for Pumpkins. North Complex Fire anihilates the entire reqion !!

Post by M.W.Taylor » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:59 pm

Total reset going on in the forests of California.

DAKennedy

Re: No more exporing Lumpkin with Dunkin for Pumpkins.

Post by DAKennedy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:30 pm

Michael,

I was afraid this might be the case. I remember watching that fire blow up in early September and fearing the worst. The South Fork was the worst-hit location in the fire's perimeter; hopefully the area of Hartman Bar and Lumpkin Ridge just to the north was slightly less devastated. I may have to go investigate next week for myself.

This is the result of a century of mismanagement. Reaping what we've sown...I don't like it.

- Duncan
North Complex Fire blowing up in early September as seen from Packer Saddle.
North Complex Fire blowing up in early September as seen from Packer Saddle.

MarkGraham

Re: No more exporing Lumpkin with Dunkin for Pumpkins.

Post by MarkGraham » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:35 pm

Verified temperature trend in Sierra Nevada is +2.7 degrees F over past 75 years. This leads to earlier spring snowmelt and more drying in the summer. A warmer and drier forest burns more intensely.

I understand the issue of fire suppression, but it is impossible to do controlled burns over all the California forests, or even a significant fraction of them. How is that possible?

It is important to move away from burning fossil fuels and reduce the atmospheric carbon, which is demonstrably higher now than it has been in the past 400,000 years. This puts a lid on the atmosphere, preventing cooling at night. In the Sierras, the temperatures increases have mostly occurred in nighttime temperatures.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3818933.pdf

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Re: No more exploring Lumpkin with Dunkin for Pumpkins.

Post by M.W.Taylor » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:38 pm

Mark,

It may be too late.

Of course we should move away from using fossil fuels as quickly as possible and develop cleaner alternatives. But at what cost ?

It should be noted that Fossil fuels are the still crux of civilization as we know it.

The "Haber-Bosch" process to create ammonium nitrate from natural gas provides 75% of the fertilizer for the entire world to grow food for people and livestock. You can't just suddenly take this away without causing massive starvation (even though John P. Holdren and many other climate scientists clearly have no problem with that). GMO crops require ammonium nitrate due to constant applications of glyphosate …..chelating all the nutrients and minerals from the ground...rendering such ground infertile for years. First we much stop using round-up and GMO crops, which require the regular use of chemical fertilizers, derived from natural gas. Famers in India learned this the hard way and are now going back to more sustainable methods such as using manure and building up a healthy top soil. Regular glyphosate applications absolutely destroy both topsoil and human health.

Another big problem: Let's say hypothetically speaking we, as a nation, become carbon neutral through great economic hardship and sacrifice... Then China, India and other nations will laugh at us and keep on belching out carbon like there is no tomorrow. The entire world needs to be on board for it to work. But they are not. The Paris Accord is one of the most unfair and biased agreements ever concocted towards the west. China and India get to do nothing about their carbon emissions until 2030.....and then it's optional....only if complying suits them.

Many climate scientists and advocates consider humans beings to be a cancer on this Earth. While at the same time these elitists fly around the world in their private jets telling the rest of the world to stop using fossil fuel. These jetsetters with gargantuan carbon footprints (and egos too) need to stop being such hypocrites if they want their message to be taken seriously.

China builds a new "super-polluting" coal power plant about every other week. Why do China and India get a free pass ?

Why does the USA need to destroy itself to prove a point when nothing will get better until the rest of the world complies too ?

MarkGraham

Re: No more exploring Lumpkin with Dunkin for Pumpkins.

Post by MarkGraham » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:27 pm

Fair points, and the number of private jets at that annual Davos Sustainability Conference is a running joke.

I feel the US is well positioned to take the lead on this issue. In the US coal has been deprecated in power production to natural gas, which is available widely and cheaply through fracking technology in abundant gas fields in Texas, Ohio and Pennsylvania. This as well as petroleum fracking in Texas and the Dakotas allows the US to build a bridge to increasing use of wind, solar, geothermal, and nuclear without taking a hit on five dollar a gallon gasoline or a five hundred dollar monthly heating bill.

The transition has already started, and it will continue, in stops and starts, over the next twenty years. It will build many jobs, both technical and vocational. The jobs will be in direct energy production but more so in energy transmission and storage.

Return to “California”