San Gabriel and San Bernadino mountains

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  San Gabriel and San Bernadino mountains

Postby Ral » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:54 pm

There is little information on the net but I am curious, what are the dimensions of the trees which grow in the these mountains and what type, species? Do the conifers anywhere near approach the heights of the those in the Sierra Nevada?
Ral

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 1 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: San Gabriel and San Bernadino mountains

Postby Ral » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:05 pm

https://www.sgvtribune.com/2017/08/08/s ... nd-mining/

The photo just isn't clear enough but is that a Sequioadendron at the Buckthorn campground?
Ral

Print view this post

#3)  Re: San Gabriel and San Bernadino mountains

Postby M.W.Taylor » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:33 pm

There were sugar pines up to 8' dbh and ponderosa up to 7' dbh that grew in the San Gabriel Mountains. Will post pictures shortly from on old timer that lived there since the 1930's. They all died 20+ years ago, probably due to drought.  Surprisingly, these trees were approaching the dimensions of those from the Sierras Nevada and Intermediate Ranges of Trinity and Siskiyous Counties.

Update: I can't find these pictures. Will post if/when I find them. There were sugar pines up to 8' dbh in the San Gabriel Mountains that died. That area became much warmer and drier over the last 20 years and virtually all the big pines died. They were scarce there to begin with.

quote="Ral"]There is little information on the net but I am curious, what are the dimensions of the trees which grow in the these mountains and what type, species? Do the conifers anywhere near approach the heights of the those in the Sierra Nevada?[/quote]
Last edited by M.W.Taylor on Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M.W.Taylor

Has Liked: 33 times
Has Been Liked: 368 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: San Gabriel and San Bernadino mountains

Postby Ral » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Ral wrote:https://www.sgvtribune.com/2017/08/08/san-bernardino-rep-asks-trump-to-shrink-san-gabriel-mountains-national-monument-citing-ski-resort-and-mining/

The photo just isn't clear enough but is that a Sequioadendron at the Buckthorn campground?

Thank you for the reply Michael.

Never having seen one over here yet in person but I am presuming that the tree in the photo isn't Sequoiadendron but Incense Cedar. I was curious as to if Sequioadendron stragglers could have been growing as far south as the San Gabriel mountains but remained undiscovered?
Ral

Print view this post

#5)  Re: San Gabriel and San Bernadino mountains

Postby Mark Collins » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Ral,
I used to live in LA several years ago and the San Gabriels were my favorite mountains to hike and explore in, just minutes outside the city too. It was amazing how you could go back there and not see a single soul on some of the trails. Around the time I left, a large area in the Angeles National Forest had suffered from the Station Fire, and some of my favorite trails were destroyed, the area burned to a crisp. I remember some man saying it wouldn't be the same for another 100 years. I don't know what the status of the area that burned is at the moment, but I'm under the impression that it's recovering nicely.

That being said, before I was really into looking at trees, I thought for sure I had come across a small grove of small Sequoias while hiking back there. Maybe they were just incense cedar. I could only find one picture that I took at the time...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ptJUPOnKtTRpcFEC2
Mark Collins

Has Liked: 133 times
Has Been Liked: 83 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: San Gabriel and San Bernadino mountains

Postby Ral » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:02 pm

Hello Mark, thank you for your reply.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/sangabr ... t5878.html

I came across this on the net so both your tree and the tree near the campsite could be Redwoods but they look abit too big to be planted ones and are most likely Incense Cedars. The Cedars at Middle Fork Lytle Creek look impressive, great shleter. What are the droopy topped conifers behind the Cedars in Walker's fourth photo down? Anyone?

https://gizmodo.com/these-sequoia-trees ... 1579409426

There also appear to be self seeding Sequoiadendron in the San Jacinto mountains.

Where abouts do you live now Mark? California has some terrific mountains and scenery, must be great living close to them to enable visits at will. A long haul from Merry Olde England.
Ral

Print view this post

Return to California