Lindsey Creek Giant

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Ral

Lindsey Creek Giant

Post by Ral » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:30 am

http://www.mdvaden.com/redwood_crannell ... iant.shtml

Would anyone know what remains of the Lindsey Creek Giant and the Crannell Creek Giant? Have second generation trees come up from the old, giant; stumps? If so how tall are they now?

John Harvey

Re: Lindsey Creek Giant

Post by John Harvey » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:49 am

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the locations are somewhat developed now so I don't think remains are there. The CCG I think was on or very near to where that small airport north of Eureka is and it is a field. Michael Taylor or Mario may know more details on that.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:22 pm

When loggers got to it, the tree was so big it could not be felled. but It fell over a few years later after a storm. This was in an area of well known giant redwoods (Hammond/Vance property). I have been to the area along Lindsey Creek and the old railroad grade, described in the Humboldt Times Standard. It is now private property and a cow pasture. I did not find any remains. There are huge stumps nearby, such as the 30+ dbh fieldbrook stump only 1,000 feet away. The tree was salvaged after it fell over. Estimated merchantable timber was 535,000 board feet if I recall correctly. The diameter at 130' above the ground, where it broke in half, was 19' . The Humboldt Times article encouraged people to come and photograph it before it gets salvaged. This gives to credence to the authenticity of the dimensions. As far as I know, a photograph or two of it probably still exists, it tucked away in an archive somewhere.

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:49 pm

M.W.Taylor wrote:When loggers got to it, the tree was so big it could not be felled. but It fell over a few years later after a storm. This was in an area of well known giant redwoods (Hammond/Vance property). I have been to the area along Lindsey Creek and the old railroad grade, described in the Humboldt Times Standard. It is now private property and a cow pasture. I did not find any remains. There are huge stumps nearby, such as the 30+ dbh fieldbrook stump only 1,000 feet away. The tree was salvaged after it fell over. Estimated merchantable timber was 535,000 board feet if I recall correctly. The diameter at 130' above the ground, where it broke in half, was 19' . The Humboldt Times article encouraged people to come and photograph it before it gets salvaged. This gives to credence to the authenticity of the dimensions. As far as I know, a photograph or two of it probably still exists, it tucked away in an archive somewhere.
Michael, after reading his question, it came to mind that remnants were probably next to nothing if it fell, because falling usually pulls the stump and roots out of the ground. And those usually die, unlike stumps of cut or broken redwoods that sprout again.
M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

Ral

Post by Ral » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Thank you for the replies, very interesting to know.

F.Jakobsson

Post by F.Jakobsson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:44 pm

A photo of Lindsey Creek Giant would then likely show the tree lying on the ground; perhaps the break at 130 feet could be discerned.

If photos were taken while Lindsey Creek Giant was still standing it would be helpful to know what trunk shape to look for. Like if the base was much buttressed or not. But I suppose no diameters for the lower part were recorded?

I've enclosed a photo of a redwood whose identity I've been curious about. This redwood seems like a very large single stem with almost no taper. Do you recognize it? Could a tree like this be a contender for LCG, or would a much larger base be expected of a tree so big it could not be felled?

Unfortunately I don't remember what website I downloaded the photo from. Looking closer at the photo I'm uncertain; could it be two trees, one behind the other, or a double stem? Oh well...

//Fredrik
Attachments
Big Red.jpeg

L.Danton

Post by L.Danton » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:36 am

Hi,
I had seen this picture before and just found where :
http://www.mendorailhistory.org/1_redwo ... photos.htm

F.Jakobsson

Post by F.Jakobsson » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:07 am

L.Danton,

Thank you very much for finding the website I downloaded the photo from so quickly!

//Fredrik

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:16 am

I believe this to be a single tree. If it is a single trunk there are no redwoods alive today that even come close to this tree in terms of trunk size.

I have seen this picture before. There is another picture of this tree from the other side where the cut has been started. If you look closely at the right side of the base on this picture you can see a cut has been started on the back side and two spring boards. On the other picture, which I will post soon, you see the same 8 loggers and two spring boards. I don't think this is Lindsay Creek Giant due to the cutting. This may be the giant 30 foot diameter redwood that grew along Canyon Creek and was cut down in 1911. Nearby up in North Fork Mad River Basin are two 28 foot stumps across the cut face in the North Fork Mad River Basin. Canyon Creek was a side canyon that forks to the east of North Fork Mad River a few miles downstream. At that time it was considered the largest tree in the world. I am sure this is not Crannell Giant which has much thicker bark and was not as big at the base. If you use the people for scale this tree looks to be at least 27 feet diameter with a slow taper. Since they are standing at the front they appear bigger and if used for scale will make the tree look smaller. This could easily be a 30' diameter redwood but no way to tell for sure. Too bad they are not standing at the side of the tree. We also do not know the height of the loggers. People tended to be shorter back in those days. The Canyon Creek Tree probably still has a stump. I tried to hike in there about 4 years ago with a friend to find the remains of the stump and we got kicked out by a security guard.
Last edited by M.W.Taylor on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

F.Jakobsson

Post by F.Jakobsson » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:32 am

Michael, I see the cut now. Great to hear your elucidating reasoning.
//Fredrik

Return to “California”