LiDAR search reveals tallest pine tree on Earth

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#21)  Re: LiDAR search reveals tallest pine tree on Earth

Postby John Harvey » Mon May 15, 2017 9:40 pm

Michael,

Do you have any Lidar sets for New Jersey? If so are they of any quality? I've been thinking of obtaining the files available at this site, https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINExplorer/jviewer.jsp?pg=lidar and seeing what I can find but I don't know the first thing about how useful they would be. I just know that that 151' tree I found just can't be the tallest in the state and there are a lot of areas I'm curious to look at.

Thanks
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox
John Harvey

Has Liked: 350 times
Has Been Liked: 433 times
Print view this post

#22)  Re: LiDAR search reveals tallest pine tree on Earth

Postby M.W.Taylor » Tue May 16, 2017 1:56 pm

John Harvey wrote:Michael,

Do you have any Lidar sets for New Jersey? If so are they of any quality? I've been thinking of obtaining the files available at this site, https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINExplorer/jviewer.jsp?pg=lidar and seeing what I can find but I don't know the first thing about how useful they would be. I just know that that 151' tree I found just can't be the tallest in the state and there are a lot of areas I'm curious to look at.

Thanks

John,

I believe the entire state of NJ has LiDAR coverage.  What area are you interested in searching ?  I'll make a tile of it with height banding when I have time.

Michael T.
M.W.Taylor

Has Liked: 34 times
Has Been Liked: 327 times
Print view this post

#23)  Re: LiDAR search reveals tallest pine tree on Earth

Postby John Harvey » Tue May 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Michael,

Thanks, I really appreciate it. The areas I'm most interested in are around Worthington State forest in the northwest part of the state. There are old tulips here as well as very large oaks and maples. The problem with the rest of the state is that the forest is very fragmented. The tallest trees I have found have been second growth along creeks that run between developments, in farm fields, and places like that. It is a hard task because there are just so many little pockets to pick through. The large forests to the north are a bit more simple. I've attached a few photos with coordinates on the yellow pin. The last photo is the area of Worthington SF that I'm most curious about. If the area doesn't show anything that tall it would have me believe that southern NJ would have the taller trees on average. The first image is of a park a state employee once told me had some of the tallest trees in the state. He didn't elaborate.
 Any help would be awesome! I can imagine it could be time consuming so even just a little of Worthington would be great to see. I'll be back in NJ for a few days later this summer and would love to have some trees to verify from the ground.
Attachments
Lidar 6.jpg
Tatum Woods
lidar 5.jpg
Hutchinson Old Growth Forest
Lidar 4.jpg
Tall pocket 3
lidar 3.jpg
Tall pocket 2
lidar 2.jpg
Tall pocket 1
Lidar 1.jpg
Worthington State Forest

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox
John Harvey

Print view this post

#24)  Re: LiDAR search reveals tallest pine tree on Earth

Postby M.W.Taylor » Thu May 18, 2017 8:59 pm

nj2.jpg

Tatum Park. More tall trees. white is 150+ feet (46m)

nj1.jpg

Tatum Park. First tile with a 150 class tree

John Harvey wrote:Michael,

Thanks, I really appreciate it. The areas I'm most interested in are around Worthington State forest in the northwest part of the state. There are old tulips here as well as very large oaks and maples. The problem with the rest of the state is that the forest is very fragmented. The tallest trees I have found have been second growth along creeks that run between developments, in farm fields, and places like that. It is a hard task because there are just so many little pockets to pick through. The large forests to the north are a bit more simple. I've attached a few photos with coordinates on the yellow pin. The last photo is the area of Worthington SF that I'm most curious about. If the area doesn't show anything that tall it would have me believe that southern NJ would have the taller trees on average. The first image is of a park a state employee once told me had some of the tallest trees in the state. He didn't elaborate.
 Any help would be awesome! I can imagine it could be time consuming so even just a little of Worthington would be great to see. I'll be back in NJ for a few days later this summer and would love to have some trees to verify from the ground.

John,

I have loaded the Tatum Park area LiDAR and height banded as follows 20m green, 30m yellow, 40m red and 46m white. I get 16 trees over 150 feet according to the software estimates. I then labeled the 150ft or almost 150ft class LiDAR hits.  The tallest I get is 159ft and 158.5ft respectively.  The LiDAR may have missed the very tippy tops so these trees could just make 160 class> I have not created the CHM out of the tiles yet but you can easily determine where each crown is relative to other crowns, prominent features such as roads and buildings will point you to the correct tree on Google Earth. When/if I have time I will scan the other forests and post the results.  

Is this what you were expecting ?

nj5.jpg

Tatum Park. This must be the PRIMARY GROVE. Two trees pushing 160'. maybe even over 160'.

Attachments
nj6.jpg
Tatum Park - Tile 6. Red 40m and white is 46m
nj8.jpg
Tatum Park area. Nothing in the white band here
nj7.jpg
Tatum Park area - tile 7 - nothing over 150
nj3.jpg
nothing over 150 here
M.W.Taylor

Print view this post

#25)  Re: LiDAR search reveals tallest pine tree on Earth

Postby John Harvey » Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Michael,

Thanks so much. That is actually so much more than I expected. I expected maybe 1 or 2 trees to be in the low 150's. This area was next on my list before I spontaneously moved to California 2 and a half years ago and I will definitely do some ground work there when I go back this summer. In general I had encountered a random tall tree here and there in forests that were mostly dominated by L Tulipifera. At times a randomly placed tall red or white oak would be present there as well. In the southern end of the state southern pine and oak forests with shorter trees are mixed with eastern deciduous forests. You also have the "pine barrens" dominated by 60' pitch pine  forests. This is the first time I've seen a cluster of trees of that height so it's pretty exciting. I had suspected before that the lack of those two forest types southern NJ possesses could mean taller trees in general in the northern parts of the state.

John Harvey

Print view this post

#26)  Re: LiDAR search reveals tallest pine tree on Earth

Postby John Harvey » Fri May 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Also as a side note I noticed on the tallest hits that they may actually be white pine and not tulips. The satellite image is from April before the tulips are foliated yet there is a lot of green there.
Attachments
tp or pines.jpg

John Harvey

Print view this post

#27)  Re: LiDAR search reveals tallest pine tree on Earth

Postby dbhguru » Sun May 21, 2017 9:06 am

John, Michael,

If we have 150+ foot white pines in New Jersey, that would be a big plus for mapping out what the species does going from Canada to Georgia. I had written off Pinus strobus in New Jersey, seeing on scraggly specimens along the road corridors. In terms of 150-foot tulips, I've never doubted that some were hiding around.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1086 times
Print view this post

#28)  Re: LiDAR search reveals tallest pine tree on Earth

Postby John Harvey » Sun May 21, 2017 11:42 am

Bob,
 I suppose there is the chance the two taller trees are tulips still, wedged in between pines but it doesn't seem the case here. I'm only thinking white pine because I can't think of any other tree, especially a conifer, that could achieve that height in this location. It would be an awesome thing to find a 160' pine in NJ. Much thanks to Michael for the help!

Also, is there any way this could be made a separate thread? I feel kind of silly hijacking Michael's post about he and Zane's amazing find and world record setting tree with talk of 150' tulips and pines in NJ.

John Harvey

Print view this post

#29)  Re: LiDAR search reveals tallest pine tree on Earth

Postby M.W.Taylor » Sun May 21, 2017 4:43 pm

I am really curious what you guys get when you go in there. When are you going in there ?

By the way, speaking of pines, I have an 83m-84m sugar pine LiDAR hit from the central Sierra Nevada. Going in soon to measure from ground. It may be the tallest pine yet.
M.W.Taylor

Print view this post

#30)  Re: LiDAR search reveals tallest pine tree on Earth

Postby M.W.Taylor » Sun May 21, 2017 8:19 pm

John Harvey wrote:Also as a side note I noticed on the tallest hits that they may actually be white pine and not tulips. The satellite image is from April before the tulips are foliated yet there is a lot of green there.

John,  I think the tallest Tatum Park trees are tulips. They have broad, flat tops. I will attach a screen capture of the point cloud extracted for the 159ft+ tree. My satellite internet does not allow me to post pictures on this BBS so I will post later next time I stop by another WiFi. The very tallest does not have the conical profile of a pine.
M.W.Taylor

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to California