BlackFox Sugar Pine, Possible Volume Champion

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

BlackFox Sugar Pine, Possible Volume Champion

Post by M.W.Taylor » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:58 pm

I recently visited the BlackFox Sugar Pine from Michael Oxman's climbing video posted on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9JFT95hNDQ

The tree is claimed to be 250' tall and 9' diameter. This behemoth is indeed over 9' dbh and it has a slow taper. The top is dead but completely intact. Despite being 52 feet shorter than reported I was still not disappointed. Not sure why the loggers left this lone giant standing ? Perhaps due to fear of rot so cutting the tree would be a safetly issue ? Perhaps as a landmark, heritage type tree, similar to the Collins Pine ? Or perhaps as a seed tree.

This is a rare giant sugar pine from the Cascade Ranges, which had some of the biggest sugar pines of any place but were mostly logged.

Here are the stats on BlackFox sugar pine:

height: 198 ft
dbh: 9.17 ft
trunk volume: 5339 cubic ft
d50: 7.2 ft

Despite its stoutness, the volume is nearly equal to my estimated volume of the newly appointed and much more slender American Forests champion in Calaveras County. With the error range in my relascope measurements I would say this tree could be even the largest by volume. Climbing and tape wrapping this tree's trunk and all significant branches would be the best way to prove which is really the largest known sugar pine.

Current volume and American Forests point champion sugar pine:

height: 241 ft
dbh 9.1 ft
trunk volume 5,486
d50: 6.4 ft

Michael Taylor
W.N.T.S. VP
DroneFox.us
landmarktrees.net
Attachments
Over 7 feet thick at 50 feet above ground !
Over 7 feet thick at 50 feet above ground !
BlackFox sugar pine, one of only a few with a dbh over 9 dt
BlackFox sugar pine, one of only a few with a dbh over 9 dt

DAKennedy

Re: BlackFox Sugar Pine, Possible Volume Champion

Post by DAKennedy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:02 am

Michael,

My eyes literally bugged out after seeing those photos in your email. That thing is huge!

It'll be interesting to see how big that 10.5' DBH Sugar at Poker Flat is. It looks to have an intact top based on GE imagery. I'll also be interested in how great the volume is on the Mineral Sugar. Perhaps Grandpa and I make a journey up to Mineral to meet you and see if we can find it, sometime in the next few weeks?

We could also just look at some of these when you come down and stay at our house sometime in August. We should probably work out the details in an email series soonish.

- Duncan
Duncan Kennedy
Student; UNR Environmental Sci.
Tree Measurer.

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:21 pm

Hello Michael.

I was thinking about pines again the other day, driving to the redwoods between Grants Pass and Del Norte county. Fairly close to the border line, I pulled over for a momentary rest stop and noticed a big trunk. Although it was not huge, it did stand out, being so close to the highway. I did a quick wrap of its solid column and got 7 ft. diameter at DBH

Again, its not huge, nor really tall. But since this sugar pine had a trunk dbh as big as Phalanx or some of those ponderosa's we visited in the past, it had me thinking there may be several pockets or isolated giants left in that neck of the woods.
M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:11 pm

Mario,

I am pretty sure larger sugar pines will be found in the coming years from both Southern Oregon and the Sierras/Shasta-Trinity-Lassen. Probably even a few 10'+ dbh specimens. There are many isolated pockets with big sugar pines that the loggers just could not get to. Or that were protected in parks before getting logged. I seriously doubt Calaveras Champion and Black Fox are the biggest living today.

Michael

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:13 pm

Michael,

BVP, Sillet and I measured some sugars in Redwood Canyon ~8' X 240'+.

Will

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:49 am

Michael- Wow amazing tree!!! Can't wait to get out that way in the near future. Larry

Return to “California”