New Champion Mahogany FOUND

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

DAKennedy

New Champion Mahogany FOUND

Post by DAKennedy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:00 am

NTS,

Yesterday, I went with my grandfather Bill Harnach on a trip to meet a local named John Preschutti. John knew where to find a huge Mountain Mahogany, that we figured might become a new National Champion. We drove several miles down a back road to a small drainage, which we hiked up. Upon reaching the top of a ridge to the west of the drainage, we found the Mahogany. This tree is huge: 12'0" CBH, 22' H, 36' averaged crown spread! It is huge! The AFA Point total was 175 Points, making it the largest of the three Co-Champs!

This is the first tree I have measured as the newest member of the American Forests Association's National Cadre of Expert Tree Measurers. I was made a member yesterday after Michael Taylor sent out a "thumbs up" email to Bob Leverett, Don Bertolette, Matt Ritter, and the staff at American Forests.

- Duncan
Huge Mountain Mahogany.  The largest and newest National Co-Champ.
Huge Mountain Mahogany. The largest and newest National Co-Champ.
The same tree from afar.
The same tree from afar.
Duncan Kennedy
Student; UNR Environmental Sci.
Tree Measurer.

Larry Tucei

Re: New Champion Mahogany FOUND

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Duncan= Welcome to the Cadre and Congrats on the Champ! Larry

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:42 pm

Duncan,
Congratulations on both accounts, and the very beginnings on what assuredly will be a long and stellar big tree career!
Stefan

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:37 pm

Duncan: It is huge. I am curious as to which species of Mountain Mahogany it belongs to - Curlleaf? How far above mid slope did you measure circumference?

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:39 am

There seem to be a hand full of Cercocarpus (Mountain Mahogany) species in California, with most individuals not reaching above 1 meter in most areas because of browsing by large deer populations. From what I have read, I suspect that your tree could well remain a champion, regardless of the species.

Of course the true mahoganies are tropiocal in the Meliaceae family and can probably reach close to 200' tall and have been recorded in peer review journals as reaching over 10' dbh, with an estimated age of slightly over 1,000 years, though this age is controversial. Swietenia macrophylla is the largest of the 3 valuable Neotropical species that have been selectively removed from any accessible forests throughout Central and South America and the Caribbean , such that mature trees are exceedingly rare today.

DAKennedy

Post by DAKennedy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:04 am

Turner,

This tree was actually easier to measure than I thought it would be. It actually has a trunk (surprising) for the first 5 feet. At 5.5', it branches off into three huge branches, the largest of which is over 1 foot thick. It is a Cercocarpus ledifolius indeed.

Bart,

Deer LOVE Cercocarpus leaves. I won't be surprised if this remains a champion for years to come. It is growing on a talus slope right on a small seep.

- Duncan
Duncan Kennedy
Student; UNR Environmental Sci.
Tree Measurer.

Don

Post by Don » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:37 pm

Turner-
I've wandered over much of the West, seen many mountain mahogany trees (mostly Cercocarpus betulina, birchleaf, if my recall is still functioning), but never anywhere near the size of the new Champion (to be?, not yet registered?). I know what it feels to swing a double bit axe into 4-8" dbh ones (groves of them in Eastern Oregon, East of Rudio Mountain)...like swinging a bat into a clothesline pole!
Some times of the year, they're pretty "pollen-acious" too...descriptors like "hairy achines" come to mind...
-Don
tsharp wrote:Duncan: It is huge. I am curious as to which species of Mountain Mahogany it belongs to - Curlleaf? How far above mid slope did you measure circumference?
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

DAKennedy

Post by DAKennedy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:30 am

Don, et al.

The nomination is now on UFEI's California Big Tree Listing! See it here: