Exploring Lumpkin With Dunkin

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Exploring Lumpkin With Dunkin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:15 pm

I met up with Duncan Kennedy and his mom yesterday. We explored the Lumpkin Ridge area (historically known as an area of huge pines) for large trees and also measured two known large ponderosa from a previous exploration. We saw many douglas fir and sugar pine in the 7' + class including a rare 8.2' dbh ponderosa. We found the large trees using Google Earth. It appears trees with large crowns tend to have large trunks also.

The stats on the three large ponderosa are as follows:

Name: Lumpkin Lunker (Pinus ponderosa benthamiana)
dbh: 7.13'
height: 181'
trunk volume: 4277 cubic feet
diameter at 50: 6.1'

Name: Lumpkin Pumpkin (Pinus ponderosa benthamiana)
dbh: 7.36'
height: 177.5'+
trunk volume: 4096 cubic feet
diameter at 50: 6.3'

Name: Milsap Monster (Pinus ponderosa benthamiana)
dbh: 8.2'
height: ~190'
trunk volume: ??
diameter at 50: ??

I will need to return to the area to measure the Milsap Monster, which looks to be over 4k as well.

Michael Taylor
WNTS VP
Last edited by M.W.Taylor on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

DAKennedy

Re: Exploring Lumpkin With Dunkin

Post by DAKennedy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:49 am

Yesterday was an extremely fun day. My leg hurt a bit that night, but that is normal for me after a long bushwhack.

Here are photos. I'll have a post on Sierra County Big Trees soon enough.
7.3' DBH, 176' H.  The "Lumpkin Pumpkin".
7.3' DBH, 176' H. The "Lumpkin Pumpkin".
7.1' DBH, 188' H.  The "Lumpkin Lunker".
7.1' DBH, 188' H. The "Lumpkin Lunker".
The area also in near several known big trees, including the Hartman's Bar Tree, a former National Champion that was listed in BVP's book. There is also a report from downcanyon of a 8.5'-9' DBH Sugar Pine. That is unconfirmed, but it'd be awesome if it was that big.

The trip's only mishap was when Michael got stung by some bees. That was while we were attempting to measure the volume of the Lunker. I'll be interested to see what the volume of the Milsap Monster is. I'll have report of another big tree, a huge Doug-Fir located in nearby Onion Valley this Saturday.

- Duncan
Last edited by DAKennedy on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan Kennedy
Student; UNR Environmental Sci.
Tree Measurer.

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:55 am

Duncan, for some reason the ENTS server will not allow me to upload photos so I will email you a few so you can post ?

I have 5 bee stings on my left ankle and foot alone. I am not able to wear a shoe on my left foot. I wonder if those were hornets ? I never got a good look at them before running.

DAKennedy

Post by DAKennedy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:03 am

M.W.Taylor wrote:Duncan, for some reason the ENTS server will not allow me to upload photos so I will email you a few so you can post ?

I have 5 bee stings on my left ankle and foot alone. I am not able to wear a shoe on my left foot. I wonder if those were hornets ? I never got a good look at them before running.
I'll post the photos for you. I do not have any of the Milsap Monster, so it would be good to have those.

Youch! You might want to see if you can find any StingStop at a pharmacy or online. That stuff works great even on yellowjacket stings (I know from experience).

Hope you feel better soon,

- Duncan
Duncan Kennedy
Tree Measurer.

DAKennedy

Post by DAKennedy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:03 pm

Me under the "Lumpkin Lunker", 7.1' DBH, 4200 Cubes
Me under the "Lumpkin Lunker", 7.1' DBH, 4200 Cubes
Lumpkin Pumpkin, 7.3' DBH
Lumpkin Pumpkin, 7.3' DBH
HUGE 8.2' DBH Pondy.  Name under discussion.
HUGE 8.2' DBH Pondy. Name under discussion.
- Duncan
Duncan Kennedy
Tree Measurer.

Don

Post by Don » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:49 pm

Great finds, you guys!
I've too many yellow jacket stories to tell, but the Kentucky yellow jackets could raise a welt on my forearm that I could hardly cover with my hand, and rose in the center perhaps a half inch or more. Was actually hot to the touch, and did it ache !

Duncan, I think it's great to be going out big tree hunting with your family,...I did when I was your age, although it was not organized around big trees, just 'time in the woods'. It seems to me the world would be well served if more families these days, made a point of having more "wood's time"!

Michael- Have you taught Duncan all you know about the Sine Method, delineating pith lines to determine single-stem trees versus multi-stemmed trees and other such online Measuring Guideline things?
With your recommendation, I should like to offer Duncan an opportunity to join the American Forests' Cadre as an apprentice, and an opportunity to take advantage of AF Cadre Distance Learning exercises we have, especially if Duncan can, and wants to, approach Feather River Community College folks and see if they can credit him for Independent Study or some similar designation that enhances Duncan's curriculum. Please PM me at donbertolette@me.com with your thoughts, and thanks for your mentoring!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

DAKennedy

Post by DAKennedy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:19 pm

Don,

I find this idea quite interesting. So, I copied the link to your post and pasted it into an email to Dr. Darla DeRuiter, the department chair for the Environmental Studies department. I await her reply. She is the sort of person who would have the interest needed.

- Duncan
Duncan Kennedy
Tree Measurer.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:24 pm

Michael, Duncan- Wow way to go those are awesome finds! Much larger than any Pines I've ever seen. Look forward to coming out in the future to see some of these and other giants. Larry

Return to “California”