New dbh champ for SESE

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Mark Collins

Re: New dbh champ for SESE

Post by Mark Collins » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Lots of good points made here on this thread. I've been asking myself often lately whether or not posting photos and write ups is worth it. It's not an easy decision to make, especially when the inner muse desires to capture the perfect photo, find the most majestic patch of forest, or write the perfect sentence. On one hand, certain photos I have seen online have inspired me to go out in the forest, and when that happens, more discoveries are made. On the other, there is the knowledge that every picture or online post takes a chance. I've had to go back and delete many photos and posts I've made public, and have a lot more work to do in that regard, and it's my personal goal to become more disciplined. As Don mentioned, it is a "knife edged kind of thing."

I have to laugh when I first started looking around the redwood forest. I used to bring orange plastic marking tape to prevent myself from getting lost. Some of the groves I used it in would be embarrassing to admit now. Unfortunately, I worry that's how it goes with this forest. When just starting, the forest can feel infinite, posting a write up or photos of certain areas or trees may not seem like a big deal because in my mind at least, I would think "No one is going to ever step foot in this spot again!" I still get that sensation from time to time. However, the more time one spends in what remains of the redwood forest, you realize just how small and fragile it can seem, and more people will eventually step foot in that same spot.

Anyhow, thanks for the discussion here, seems like an important conversation to continue to have...

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:59 pm

Mark, I know what you mean about the initial feel of "vastness" you get at first and eventually realizing there is so much less once you get accustomed to the forests. Everyone knows about the 97% lost yet at first it's easy to think there is a lot left when you take a drive through Humboldt SP for instance. You almost have to become a Titan hunter to realize that each of tree is special because there isn't that many left at all and with the climate and mans expanse the forest of old are not coming back. Still the only way to share the sense of awe and the love we have for the forest with others, other than bringing someone there, is to share what I call "responsible " photos. That's where we here come in and we need to police ourselves as a group I think. There's only so many of us that do this and therefor we in some way hold the most responsibility because we hold the knowledge.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Speaking as someone who (like many) will not have a practical opportunity to go see the forests over there anytime soon, I really appreciate that all of you do take the time and thought to parse these ethics and responsibilities while also striving to share that sense of awe and love through photographs. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that this sharing and your care in its practice is admirable and worthy of appreciation. Thank you all. This is a wonderful group.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:20 am

MaxF wrote:Indeed, winter is a good season for searching.
Yes it is! Plus no mosquitoes, ticks, snakes, or bears. The only drawback to winter are the short days.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:44 am

John Montague wrote:
Discovering an ancient tree of this nature brings with it a lifetime of responsibility. Protecting the tree far outweighs the need to please the public, and it far outweighs the need to feed my personal ego. I do believe that people have a right to know it exists, but beyond that, my loyalty is to the tree itself. If anything bad ever happened to Crocodile at the hands of people, I would feel responsible for the chain of events that led to its demise. That is a burden I do not wish to carry. My goal here is to alert the community of the tree's existence, and nothing more.
Kudos to you John Montague for taking the virtuous path. Your approach turned out to be the correct approach. You took your responsibilities seriously.The last thing a tree "wants" is to be discovered by someone. If and when a tree happens to be discovered its your solemn obligation to be a protectorate of that tree. You are its guardian. Its a sacred pact between you and the tree.Its a relationship. You decide who visits it and who doesn't. A visitor should be highly privileged when visiting someone else's tree because the founder believes that you are trustworthy enough. It's the most honorable gift that one can receive from someone. This seems to be lost in this day and age. That's the biggest tragedy of all.

Return to “California”