New dbh champ for SESE

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

John Montague

Re: New dbh champ for SESE

Post by John Montague » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:41 am

I returned to Crocodile and took some more measurements.

Initial height estimate: 181.4'
Initial volume estimate: 19.28k

OK, so that's not much to write home about, but this is definitely noteworthy...

Ground tape wrap: 107.8' circumference (34.3' diameter)!

Short and stout.

Mark Collins

Post by Mark Collins » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:29 pm

Amazing, John!!!! Congrats!

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:08 am

Recently mentioned to John M. about a redwood found in Redwood National and State Parks a couple days ago, also with exceptional DBH. I need to re-measure with a tape, but got a respectably decent preliminary using a hiking stick as an increment. My stick is 4.5 feet long. It was 22 sticks circumference at dbh level, and 22.5 sticks circumference at ground level. That is approximately:

28.6 feet diameter dbh

101.25 feet circumference at ground level

It's got plenty of taper, been battered by the elements and probably several fires. Not a big tree overall as far as volume goes. Still remarkable. It may be months before I get back to it. But I plan to measure once more, and the numbers may fluctuate up or down some. This survivor appears to be a single bole of unusual broadness.
Last edited by mdvaden on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

John Montague

Post by John Montague » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:45 am

Mario showed me the tree he found. We did a formal tape wrap and got 27.4' dbh. It is an amazing tree and extremely well-hidden.

The ground wrap was 99'.

Crocodile and this tree have striking structural similarities. It is fitting that they were discovered within weeks of each other. For tree hunters, these will be two of the hardest trees to locate.

Both trees are a reminder that if a tree held certain characteristics, the loggers wouldn't cut it down. It is my belief that if more 27+ single-stem SESE are found, there's a good chance they'll be old and short with significant fire history.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:08 am

I don't have a strong opinion on the debate about photos- I see both sides- but, I should think merely offering a photo would hardly result in people finding that tree if you don't give directions. To the idiots who might cause a problem- a photo will be useless - and, those idiots don't read this forum. As pointed out, "it's extremely well hidden".

And, I should think, a record breaking tree isn't going to be taken seriously without photo documentation along with measurements.
Joe

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:01 am

John,
In some way these trees remind me of the Godwood Creek Giant in PCRSP. Have you seen this tree? For a long time I think it was considered to have the largest dbh. Very interesting.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

John Montague

Post by John Montague » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:36 pm

Joe,

I've had the tree verified, and I've shared pictures and coordinates with several authorities in the tree community. There are a variety of reasons why I'm not sharing photos with the public.

1. The tree is old.
2. The tree is on a steep slope.
3. This tree cannot afford regular visits.
4. I personally like looking for trees I've never seen in pictures. It enriches the imagination, and makes for a more magical experience. For me, something is lost when I find a tree I've already seen in pictures. When a tree reveals itself to me for the first time in a remote forest, the sense of awe and wonder that accompanies that experience is unmatched by recognizing a tree from a photo.

Just my two cents.

John Montague

Post by John Montague » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:42 pm

Johnny,

Godwood Creek Giant is a much more substantial tree, in terms of volume and height. For that reason, I'd put it in a different category than these two trees.

Redwood-Ed

Post by Redwood-Ed » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Godwood Creek Giant is also a very difficult tree to locate. However, for your info, I have several good pix of it on my web-site: http://www.redwood-ed.com

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:22 pm

Yes, its one of the tougher ones that's for sure. Terex Titan is another one, although I know the general area and only looked a couple times, its eluded me for some reason. Its the only tree in the top 16, not counting the new discoveries, that I couldn't walk you straight to.
When I first started Titan hunting a couple years ago I was amazed at how relatively easy most of them were if you had the right clues. I guess it makes sense in a way. When many of the trails were cut way back when I'm sure they were cut close to some of the larger trees and more impressive groves for a reason. That being said, its also why I'm not surprised that Mario, John M, and others have been able to find such large and undocumented trees in other areas, off the beaten path. There's a lot more to be found.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Return to “California”