Maritime coast range ponderosa pine forest (UPDATE)

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Maritime coast range ponderosa pine forest

Postby M.W.Taylor » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:03 pm

[quote="John Harvey"]The work so.... Could they have matched trees in the Sierras?

Some of the largest ponderosa grow at the marine layer transition zone in the intermediate ranges such as the back side or next ridge over from South Fork Mountain. These zones are cooler at night in the summer yet warmer in the winter than the Sierras. At least 2 ponderosa over 5,000 cubic feet grow/grew in these zones including one fallen in Clark's Creek near Hyampom and also Bear Wallow Giant.

South of Ukiah is White Deer ranch and Church of the Golden Rule property with some remaining old growth redwoods. Pictures on their clubhouse show ponderosa about 8' dbh at least that grew at the bottom of the valley there with the old growth redwoods. They were logged in the 50's and 60's.  The redwood/ponderosa interface seems to be a possible area were the ponderosa can also get very large. I plan to investigate "All Species Grove" above HWY-36 near Bridgeville to see if there are any large ponderosa growing amongst the redwoods there as well.

For this message the author M.W.Taylor has received Likes - 2:
DAKennedy, John Harvey
M.W.Taylor

Has Liked: 21 times
Has Been Liked: 288 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Maritime coast range ponderosa pine forest

Postby John Harvey » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:01 pm

Michael,
 Thanks for the info. I never knew there were similar conditions to the north. I'm hoping to find several more spots down here where they blend but the native range is pretty small although the redwoods are pretty much everywhere so there are bound to be some surprises. I've found several in pure stands today over 150' so a possibility of 160-170+ in pure stands down here remains as well.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox
John Harvey

Has Liked: 335 times
Has Been Liked: 429 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Maritime coast range ponderosa pine forest

Postby Don » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:09 pm

John-
A great SW conservation/preservation periodical is High Country News and I just ran across the following bit about the Kalmiopsis Wilderness at:

http://www.hcn.org/issues/49.2/latest-a-20-year-moratorium-on-mining-exploration-could-protect-water-quality-and-fish-populations-in-oregon?utm_source=wcn1&utm_medium=email

Our work is never done...
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 65 times
Has Been Liked: 221 times
Print view this post

#14)  Re: Maritime coast range ponderosa pine forest

Postby John Harvey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:27 am

Don,
Thanks, going to read it right now!

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox
John Harvey

Print view this post

#15)  Re: Maritime coast range ponderosa pine forest

Postby John Harvey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:58 am

Ok so remember that 171' tree in my opening post? We can forget about that one now. We have 190'.

I explored another patch of old ponderosa today. A forest that again mixes with Douglas fir but no redwoods present. I started out by finding several trees in the 170s. I only had about 45 minutes before I had to leave for work so I'd say I explored 15% of this forest. The real gem was the 190' tall Ponderosa. Now I'm wondering how tall these trees can get here. If 190' is possible why not 200'? Why not 215'? The cbh on this tree was 11' at most and I didn't have time to tape wrap it. There are several pines with greater girths than this that I didn't get to because they were buried back in the forest. The potential for a real whopper of a tree exists here.
Attachments
DSC04366.JPG
190' tall
DSC04363.JPG
190'

For this message the author John Harvey has received Likes - 4:
Bart Bouricius, bbeduhn, DAKennedy, yofoghorn
John Harvey

Print view this post

#16)  Re: Maritime coast range ponderosa pine forest (UPDATE)

Postby yofoghorn » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:25 pm

Wow, John! Wow!!!! That's super super impressive for Santa Cruz! If you would like confirmation and a second measurement to the nearest inch, let me know! I'd be happy to join you!
Zane J. Moore
Plant Biology PhD Student
University of California, Davis

For this message the author yofoghorn has received Likes :
John Harvey
yofoghorn

Has Liked: 28 times
Has Been Liked: 101 times
Print view this post

#17)  Re: Maritime coast range ponderosa pine forest (UPDATE)

Postby John Harvey » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:47 am

I haven't been back to the forest I found the 190' tree in but I did find a 189.5' pondy yesterday in a different location very close to the tall eucs I found. I tried really hard to find an extra foot in this tree to get it over 190' but it wasn't there. In this case it is next to a creek in a cluster of others along with, you guessed it, doug fir. It is almost like the presence of a doug fir inspires a pondy to reach for new heights even in this case where it is not competing with it for light.
Attachments
3 1 17  (23).JPG

For this message the author John Harvey has received Likes - 2:
AndrewJoslin, M.W.Taylor
John Harvey

Print view this post

#18)  Re: Maritime coast range ponderosa pine forest (UPDATE)

Postby M.W.Taylor » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:16 pm

John,  You will definitely find ponderosa over 200' in the coast ranges. Probably 6' dbh or bigger too. You are getting close to Sierra Range level rainfall, temperature is moderate year-round. It is the hot inland valleys were they are stunted by heat. You need to get to about 4,000 ft + elevation to get into the really big ponderosa in the Sierras.

Michael Taylor
WNTS VP
M.W.Taylor

Has Liked: 21 times
Has Been Liked: 288 times
Print view this post

#19)  Re: Maritime coast range ponderosa pine forest (UPDATE)

Postby John Harvey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Michael,
 I'm sure there are some whoppers here somewhere. Most of the trees I'm seeing don't seem very old and aren't in spots where they would have the chance to be very old. A couple of the taller ones I've found are near the stumps of what was once second growth redwood, harvested maybe 50 years ago.

John Harvey

Print view this post

#20)  Re: Maritime coast range ponderosa pine forest (UPDATE)

Postby Larry Tucei » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:33 pm

John=    Whoa!  Congrats on those finds that is getting rare these days.  Larry

For this message the author Larry Tucei has received Likes :
John Harvey
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 647 times
Has Been Liked: 567 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to California