'New' old-growth forest on Vancouver Island

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

'New' old-growth forest on Vancouver Island

Post by Lucas » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:54 pm

Click on image to see its original size

" a Sitka spruce that would rank the ninth widest in comparison to those currently listed on the BC Big Tree Registry (with a diameter of 3.1 meters or 10 feet & 1 inch) "

Click on image to see its original size

"a massive bigleaf maple nicknamed the Woolly Giant, which would rank the 9th widest on the BC Big Tree Registry at 2.29 meters (7 feet, 6 inches) in diameter and may have the longest horizontal branch of any tree in British Columbia, measuring 23.1 meters (76 feet) long!"

https://www.ancientforestalliance.org/m ... a-release/

https://www.ancientforestalliance.org/p ... ome-grove/

"“This is perhaps the most magnificent and stunningly beautiful old-growth forest I’ve ever seen, and I’ve explored a lot of old-growth forests in my time,” stated Ken Wu"

The photos are amazing.
Last edited by Lucas on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Lucas

Re: 'New' old-growth forest on Vancouver Island

Post by Lucas » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:03 pm

They say

"The grove is located on Crown land in the San Juan River Valley near Port Renfrew on southern Vancouver Island in the unceded territory of the Pacheedaht First Nation band. Most of the grove is unprotected, with a small portion, about two hectares, lying within an Old-Growth Management Area and in the riparian reserve along the San Juan River."

then they say

"Due to its limited size, the scarcity of this forest type, and the fact that there are no trails, the Endangered Ecosystems Alliance and Ancient Forest Alliance are not publicly revealing the Mossome Grove’s location at this time until it can be safeguarded from excessive trampling, and most importantly, from future commercial logging."

???? A little late for that?
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Return to “British Columbia”