Private southeastern Arkansas site 1

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jess Riddle

Private southeastern Arkansas site 1

Post by Jess Riddle » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Nts,

This summer, work has taken me to two private sites that retain unusually mature forest for southeastern Arkansas, and that seem to support above average productivity. Loblolly pine dominates uplands at the first site to such an extent that I wonder if the area was farmed. Loblolly also dominates patches of the bottoms along the main stream through the site, which sit 10-15’ below the uplands but are barely flatter, but the bottoms harbor generally more diverse forests that also support sweetgum, cherrybark oak, and a smattering of other species. My camera wasn't working the day I collected measurements, so the numbers will have to speak for themselves.
Site1Measurements.JPG
Site1Measurements.JPG (54.17 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
The pines are the obvious big trees at this site. Both species approach, but don’t quite reach, state size records, and there are many more large and tall pines than those I measured. The exception is the largest shortleaf, which slightly exceeds the diameter of the largest remaining in the state after the fall of the former national champion, and with a better height shot might qualify as a state co-champion. The shagbarks and Biltmore ash similarly approach, but don’t quite match the tallest NTS has documented in Arkansas so far. However, for the coastal plain ecoregion, the Biltmore ash is an outlier that dwarfs all others that I’ve seen. To me though, the real stars of the show are the stress tolerant oaks, southern red and post. As best I can determine, more moisture demanding species consistently reach greater heights farther east, but tall post and southern red oaks are far more common in Arkansas than in Georgia or the Carolinas. This site has one of the finest collections of southern red oaks that I've seen, and the first site NTS has documented with multiple post oaks over 105’.

Jess

Will Blozan

Re: Private southeastern Arkansas site 1

Post by Will Blozan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:52 am

Jess,

Man I would love to see those shortleaf! Nice numbers for sure. BTW the TCI conference location in Atlanta, GA had multiple post oaks over 105' as well. The tallest two I measured at 108' and 112'. There are more to be found there I'm sure.

Thanks for the post!

Will

Return to “Arkansas”