Alaska's Big Tree List!

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Alaska's Big Tree List!

Postby edfrank » Sat May 08, 2010 11:56 am

Don,

Do not let my sugestions detract from thebeautiful website you have designed.  It looks great.   I appreciate teh dendro links concept you implemented. The ENTS and WNTS are at the bottom of the index page, I guess I was looking for them on the links page.    The lins to ENTS, WNTS, BBS, and the measurement guidelines could be included there also. (Perhaps iIt would not be as scary to link to the BBS on the links page. )  

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 703 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Alaska's Big Tree List!

Postby Don » Sat May 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Question-
Does the opening of a beer in a forest make a noise if there's nobody there to hear it?
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 69 times
Has Been Liked: 225 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Alaska's Big Tree List!

Postby Rory » Tue May 11, 2010 4:15 pm

Don,

HA!

Yellowknife sounds cool.

I'll see you on the Sleeping Lady's deck (before it rains) next time I'm in town.

I'm hitting the road tomorrow.

Rory

Don wrote:Rory-
Better make that before August when Rhonda and I are off to Yellowknife, NWT!
Actually, veteran of the ENTS/WNTS forum, you'd become an official volunteer, taking ENTS/WNTS quality measurements, photos, GPS coordinates and include them in the nomination form, that was then delivered to The Sleeping Lady's deck on a day clear enough to see the top half of Denali while we watched the bottom half of our steins disappear...;>)
Rory

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 0 times
Print view this post

#14)  Re: Alaska's Big Tree List!

Postby darvellloyd » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:37 pm

Re: Alaska's largest Sitka spruce

Don, I contacted you last year about another giant Sitka spruce in the South Baranof Wilderness of Tongass N.F. on Baranof Island.  I saw (and copied) this image of the tree posted in 2014 on the Wilderness50th.org Facebook site.  Do you know if it's still standing and has ever been measured.  If so, could you tell us large it is and how it ranks among Alaska's largest trees?
Thanks!     Darvel Lloyd, 8-17-15. [attachment]

Giant spruce in the South Baranof Wilderness, Alaska, 7.5x10 in., low-res.jpg

Photographer and date unknown for this image of a giant Sitka Spruce in the South Baranof Wilderness, Tongass N.F., Baranof Is., Alaska

darvellloyd

Has Liked: 2 times
Has Been Liked: 4 times
Blog: View Blog (2)
Print view this post

#15)  Re: Alaska's Big Tree List!

Postby Don » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:07 am

Darvel-
While I find myself evermore guilty of short-term memory loss, I couldn't recall having been contacted about this Sitka spruce, or one in the South Baranof Wilderness.
I have just gone to my "Mailbox" and found a series of posts from you in the second week of June, 2014.  I even responded.  
I'm sorry to have not followed up, I can only say that I was unexpectedly put into the role of a caregiver, as my wife had a heart attack and subsequent bypass surgery then, and it was months before I resumed any semblance of normality.
But you've certainly captured my interest now!  I would be very interested in following up on this...I've made a quick internet survey and Facebook search on Wilderness50.org with no success.  Do you have any more cues? I'll be following up on the ones you suggested in your post back then, first thing tomorrow!
-Don Bertolette
donbertolette@me.com
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 69 times
Has Been Liked: 225 times