More Mobile Live Oaks

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  More Mobile Live Oaks

Postby Larry Tucei » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:25 pm

NTS,     While in Mobile, Alabama on Sunday I measured three Live Oaks in the 21’ CBH range. The first tree measured was the Old Shell Road Oak growing at the corner of Old Shell Road and West Drive. This tree is in the 150-200 year old range and is located across the street from the University of South Alabama. It is a beautiful Oak with resurrection fern all about its lower limbs that mostly grow towards one direction. The oak measurements were, CBH- 20’ 6”, Height-53’, and Spread-120’x 123’.  On my quest to find more large Live Oaks, after measuring the Oak on Old Shell Road I went searching at Spring Hill College in Mobile.                                                                                                                      

The college located at 4000 Dauphin St., has numerous beautiful Live Oaks in the 16-18’ CBH range but I could find none in the 20’ class. Spring Hill College, Alabama’s oldest institution of higher learning was founded in 1830 by Michael Portier, Mobile’s first Catholic bishop. Spring Hill is also the first Catholic college in the Southeast, the third oldest Jesuit College and the fifth oldest Catholic college in the United States. They have a beautiful Live Oak lined roadway on one side of the campus planted over a hundred years ago, forming a gateway towards the golf course.  http://www.shc.edu/                                                                                                                                                            

After searching the College for big Live Oaks I walked over to the golf course and spied a larger tree than anywhere on the campus. The Spring Hill Golf Course built in 1930 is adjacent to the college and on the left side of number 16 tee grows another 150- 200 year old class Live Oak. The mighty Oak has been struck by lightning but survived and overlooks the Hillside at the beautiful course. The measurements of this fine tree the Spring Hill Golf Course Oak are CBH-21’ 6”, Height-72’ and Spread-112’ x 126’.                                      

I made one more stop next to the college. The Mobile Public Library just south of the college, has a branch located at Four South McGregor St., in the front of the building grows the Spring Hill Public Library Live Oak another 150 year old + Oak that measured, CBH-21’ 2”, Height-60’ and Spread- 112’ x 102’.  The builders of the Library left a good portion of ground around the tree and took great care in protecting the Oak from damage during construction.  That was my tree adventure over the weekend and all of these Oaks are in the bottom of the listing, but are good sizes. The Live Oak listing is now at 170 trees and growing.        

Larry
Attachments
Live_Oak_Project.xlsx
Updated Live Oak Listing
(21.42 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Spring Hill Public Libray Oak 1.jpg
Mobile Public Library Spring Hill Branch Oak
Spring Hill Public Libray Oak 2.jpg
Mobile Public Library Spring Hill Branch Oak
Springhill Golf Course Oak a.JPG
Spring Hill Golf Course Oak 16 Tee
Springhill Golf Course Oak b.JPG
Spring Hill Golf Course Oak
Avenue of Live Oaks.jpg
Avenue of Oaks
Old Shell Road Oak 1.jpg
Old Shell Road Oak
Old Shell Road Oak 2.jpg
Old Shell Road Oak
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 686 times
Has Been Liked: 579 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: More Mobile Live Oaks

Postby James Parton » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:07 am

I never tire of your Live Oak adventures!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
James Parton

Has Liked: 338 times
Has Been Liked: 98 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: More Mobile Live Oaks

Postby Larry Tucei » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:42 am

James,  The Mobile area is loaded with Live Oaks,several thousand estimation. But the 20'+ plus trees are elusive, I find most of these trees from reading and driving around in the city. I'm 60 miles or so from Mobile and time is always problematic. I can just imagine how many big trees I do not see from roadways. I'm hoping Bob will fund me a helicopter, small plane or perhaps a ballon from his pocket money fund. Just kidding Bob, what I really  want is a rocket pack, then I could find all the big Live Oaks in the south.  You and Monica could use a rocket pack yourselfs.  Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 686 times
Has Been Liked: 579 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: More Mobile Live Oaks

Postby James Parton » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:53 am

Larry,

Actually, my Dad was thinking about buying an ultralight helicopter a while back. He was going to get a recreational pilot's license to fly it. Unfortunately, the guy who he was going to buy it from died ( Not in a crash! ) and he never got it.

It would have been a really cool tool for finding big or unusual trees. And fishing places!!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
James Parton

Has Liked: 338 times
Has Been Liked: 98 times
Print view this post

Return to Alabama