Hickory Leaf as Ballerina

Accounts of times in which someone has had a spiritual momment or felt they were communing or were one with nature. Experiences that elicited a strong emotional response or moment of gestalt.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edniz

Hickory Leaf as Ballerina

Post by edniz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:18 am

Here is a second entry on the theme of artistic impressions of new growth:

The leaf of a hickory is quite a complicated masterpiece of engineering. Not to diminish the miracle of any leaf coming back to life in the spring, I have watched hickory leaves in particular because of two trees that I have on my property and the ease with which I can see them open and mature. The bud seems to swell to three or four times the normal size as the protective scale begins to break under the pressure of the incipient leaf. And then you stare at something about the size of your index finger, a miniature rendition of something that will eventually have five to 9 leaves coming off a long stem, some of which may be as big as your hand.
What I have been seeing over the last few years as I watch this phenomenon is a ballerina squatted into a crouch on a stage with her hands completely enshrouding her head. Slowly she picks up her head and begins to move her arms down around her body. Moving into an upright position with arms curved around her side, her legs begin the rise until her full height is reached. And as the leaf on the hickory reaches its full length and size, the ballerina comes to life and begins a joyful dance across the stage.

Ed Nizalowski
Newark Valley, NY

edfrank

Re: Hickory Leaf as Ballerina

Post by edfrank » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:29 pm

Ed,

I like to see some other people posting some about the artistic aspects of trees and forests. I liked your post, sorry you have recieved so few responses.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Forest Experiences, Epiphanies, and Philosophies”