Silent Running

Accounts of times in which someone has had a spiritual momment or felt they were communing or were one with nature. Experiences that elicited a strong emotional response or moment of gestalt.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Silent Running

Post by edfrank » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Silent Running
http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/201107 ... nning.aspx

Silent running is a short blog that looks at one persons evolution into a trail runner. I found some interesting analogies to how different people perceive the forest - whether they watch the small details, sit and enjoy the quietness and observe, measure trees, or hurry through as if on a mission to check off another trail hiked.

Ed Frank

Click on image to see its original size
Silent Running
A stroll through the woods can inspire, but to experience nature as your fleet-footed ancestors did, lose the clunky shoes
By Daniel Duane | Photos by Martin Sundberg

Moving fast in the wilderness, you miss a lot. This became obvious to me during a 100-mile backpacking trip in the High Sierra many years ago. I took the occasional rest day, lying around for hours and napping in the shade of a meadow's edge. Everything came alive to me in my stillness. I saw the tiny wildflowers I hadn't noticed while pounding down the trail. I saw high-altitude butterflies and two does and three fawns also waiting out the midday heat, unaware that I was watching...

I enjoy walking, and of course I see more and think more at a slower pace--count more flower petals, as it were. But I feel vital and alive when I run. Not that it's easy, or easy on the body.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Re: Silent Running

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Interesting stuff, but "Run silent, Run Deep" just flashed across my built-in monitor: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052151/

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:39 am

My wife showed me a pair of these different-looking shoes over the weekend. Mast General Store in Hendersonville carries them.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:08 am

Steve Galehouse wrote:Interesting stuff, but "Run silent, Run Deep" just flashed across my built-in monitor: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052151/

Steve
I hate war but love war movies- what's wrong with so many WWII films is the actors are way too old, as in this case, where Lancaster and Gable were at least 20 years too old for those roles. I don't let that common error take away from my enjoyment of such films but.... I notice more recent war movies such as Band of Brothers and Pacific- have gotten it right, most soldiers are teenagers.
Joe

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:27 am

I'm a tree/nature lover and a trail runner. Trail running is how I find good spots to measure. I discovered a very promising area Sunday during a 50k trail race.

I tried those five finger barely there shoes but am not a fan. A buddy of mine has taken to barefoot running. He caught his toe on a rock, dislocating and breaking it. I hurt my Achilles tendon running in the five finger shoes the very first time I tried them. It's probably good in the long run to go minimal but I'd suggest starting with lighter shoes over jumping right into the true minimalist type or going barefoot.

Trail running is a different experience than hiking. I still take in a great deal when I run but I also mix in an awful lot of hiking with my running. As far as communing with nature, it can be done either way. To each, his or her own. I choose to have it both ways.

Return to “Forest Experiences, Epiphanies, and Philosophies”