Cook Forest Photos

This is a place to display artistic photos or photographic essays and collection featuring trees and forests. Photos meant to document a specific tree or site should be place in the proper section of the trip reports section.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jasonbaker

Cook Forest Photos

Post by jasonbaker » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:35 pm

My wife and I took a short trip to Cook Forest on Saturday. Here a few of the better photos I got. The hemlock forest is difficult to photograph.

Click on image to see its original size

I think I took all of these along the Indian Trail. There were a lot of trees down on the trails and I saw a few bigger hemlocks down which was unfortunate. I heard that HWA had reached Cook Forest, but I did not see any evidence of their activity.

dbhguru

Re: Cook Forest Photos

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:28 pm

Jason,

Gorgeous photos.Thanks. Cook Forest always come through for us.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

jasonbaker

Post by jasonbaker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks Bob!

I agree. Cook Forest is a gem here in the east. I've enjoyed both of my visits and hope to return in the winter. It has such a different character from the deciduous forests near Cleveland. The hemlock dominance is incredible too. We have hemlocks here in Cleveland, but they seem to hide in ravines.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:06 pm

Beautiful, thanks for sharing! Photographing tall, straight trees like hemlocks in a way that conveys their mass is always a challenge. Relying on context is usually the most effective tactic, and you've done that well here. Looking at these photos certainly does add to my desire to see these trees someday soon!

jasonbaker

Post by jasonbaker » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:18 pm

Thanks for the compliment Erik! Tree photography is hard. It's easier out west where some of the specimens are enormous. Just having somebody in the frame is enough to convey their size. These guys are tricky and they block alot of light which makes it hard to get a good exposure. I look forward to sharing some more shots as I make them :)

Return to “Photography”