Conservation photography and necessary evils

This is a place to display artistic photos or photographic essays and collection featuring trees and forests. Photos meant to document a specific tree or site should be place in the proper section of the trip reports section.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Jaymi Heimbuch
Living / Culture
February 26, 2013

http://www.treehugger.com/culture/conse ... evils.html
Sometimes you have to spend a little to make a lot. That saying couldn't be more true than when it comes to conservation photography. But we aren't talking about money.

Last year I flew from San Francisco to the middle of the Pacific ocean, landing on the tiny coral sand islands of Midway Atoll. Here, camera gear in hand, I joined the list of several other photographers who have visited the atoll to document the troubling issue of plastic pollution and its impact on marine wildlife, including the threatened Laysan Albatross. The result of the photography was several slideshows and articles on TreeHugger explaining the issue of how our plastic from thousands of miles away reaches, and harms even this most remote atoll. Hundreds of thousands of readers have seen these articles and images, and hopefully have clicked through to read about how to reduce their personal plastic pollution. My hope is that the environmental impact of my short trip to this distant atoll changed minds and actions in a way that negates that impact...
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Photography”