This and that

A selection of founder Robert Leverett's more philosophical posts and trip reports.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

This and that

Post by dbhguru » Sun May 02, 2010 7:22 am

Hi Everybody,

I'm sitting here at my computer with a cup of freshly brewed coffee, sipping, and thinking about all that has been going on in ENTS over the past several years. I'm listening to my classical music station, courtesy of my Comcast account. I can shift my eye slightly to the left and be looking out the window into the bright green of spring. Ah, there's Monica's tuliptree, there's Okie and Dokie, the two northern reds, there's the young beech, several black birches, and yes, Monica's white pine. This is the environment that daily inspires me to be among the trees. It also inspires me to commit to far more than I can possible handle., and speaking of that...... Ache and groan.

On may 14-16, I'll be at the Charlemont Inn doing a fundraiser for the historic Inn. It will all begin with a PowerPoint presentation on Friday evening. On Saturday, we'll go for a hike in MTSF. On Saturday evening there will be another presentation, and on Sunday, I'll take people to Monroe State Forest. Folks who stay at the Inn can attend the lectures and hikes for free. Attending a hike or lecture alone requires a donation to the Inn - hike $25, lecture $10. Well, I've now got to put the presentations together. Friday night will be forests and trees of the eastern U.S. Saturday evening will be Special Forests of Massachusetts.

Anybody who would care to donate an image of a great tree of forest scene for the Friday evening lecture, it would be mightily appreciated. I would credit the source. I would need the image at between 1 and 2 mega-pixels resolution. The location of the image would need to be identified along with any relevant forest and tree descriptions. I would add the descriptive information to the PowerPoint slide.

If you care to make the slide contribution, please send the image to my dbhguru address: dbhguru@comcast.net. I truly would like to make this presentation an all ENTS creation. I plan about 75 images, so don't hesitate to send several. I am especially interested in shots from:

1. The Smokies (Will, Jess?)
2. Blue Ridge Parkway (James?)
3. Congaree (Will, Marcas?)
4. Live oaks from the gulf coast (Larry?)
5. The best from Ohio (Steve and Randy?)
6. Cook Forest and Hearts Content (PA team)
7. Elsewhere in PA (Scott, George, etc.?)
8. Adirondacks
9. Beall Woods, IL
10. Pioneer Mother, IN

I have MTSF, MSF, Mt Greylock, MT Tom, etc. covered. However, any other shots from around New England are most welcome. However, don't hesitate to send whatever you see as your best image regardless of where it was taken. Any and all help will be most appreciated and you'll be doing a service to the venerable ghosts of the Charlemont Inn.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

dbhguru

Re: This and that

Post by dbhguru » Sun May 02, 2010 7:47 am

ENTS,

One more request, if I may, I'm going to need to purchase an LCD projector to show the presentations. I have a MAC running OS X Veriosn 5.8. Does anyone have a projector that they would recommend? My budget is in the $800 - $1200 range. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Oh yes, I mentioned the idea of an ENTS presentation on trees and forests of the East and she thought it was the way to go. We certainly have the combined talent to create a super presentation. The presentation could then be made available to other ENTS to use, or to modify for a special occasion.

Ed,

What do you think about us developing an ENTS PowerPoint Presentation that we would make available to ENTS members to give?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sun May 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Bob,

I'll see what I've got.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun May 02, 2010 5:02 pm

Bob,

There are two area that might be worthwhile to have a generic Power Point.

1) Introduction to ENTS, tree measuring, distinguishing old trees, old growth forests, and examples of unusual forests worth noting, and where to look for them. Subjects we both addressed to some degree in last falls presentations at Cook and my pockets full of forest document.

2) Great forests ad trees of the East. A person might want to modify the presentation to include more examples from their local area, but a balanced look at forests ad trees across the east could be created that could either stand on its own or be modified. For example if it focused on MTSF, it might not be of as much interest in south Miss, as would a presentation with an emphasis on southern trees and Live Oaks.

I emailed you individually concerning some thoughts on video projectors.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun May 02, 2010 5:08 pm

Ed,

Thanks. I think what you say make sense. I wouldn't give a presentation that was over-committed to MTSF in another part of the country. So basically, what we might want is a gallery of great tree shots with explanations that individual members could draw from to put together specialized presentations. The gallery would be open to all. However, each image would carry the name of the photographer and relevant forest/tree stats. Thoughts?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue May 04, 2010 3:00 pm

Bob, I would be honored to send you some Live Oak Photos. How about some 30+' Single Trunk and some Multi Trunk. Larry

Marcboston

Post by Marcboston » Wed May 05, 2010 6:27 am

Hey Bob I can email you some shots of my Oak here at the nursery and a few other note worthy trees from my area. I am in my busy season now and I still have not learned how to post images on here. But I can email them directly to you. They will most likely be around 7mp each. Let me know if you are interested.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed May 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Marc,

Yes, I am interested. I'm going to try to put together several PowerPoint Presentations that would be available to ENTS members. So I need all the material I can get.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed May 12, 2010 6:25 pm

Bob,

What size of images are you looking for in terms of pixels? or file sizes? I would think the best format would be horizontal ones because that is the layout of the Power Point slides. What format do you want? Horizontal, vertical, or both? Many vertical format slides can be cropped to a horizontal format.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu May 13, 2010 7:15 am

Ed,

A 2 MB image should be near the maximum size. That would allow two images per email sent to my dbhguru@comcast.net account.

I bought an Epson 84+ LCD projector. It works well and fits the budget. I'm putting the PowerPoint Presentation together now. I can incorporate images up to about 12:00PM tomorrow then it is off to the Charlemont Inn for Friday - Sunday.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “Leverett's Lounge”