Glacier "Bleeds" Proof of Million-Year-Old Life-Forms

Discussions related to Antarctica past and future, since it presently lacks trees

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Mason Inman
for National Geographic News
April 16, 2009
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... falls.html

Click on image to see its original size
Photograph courtesy Ralph Maestas via Science
Gushing from a glacier, rust-stained Blood Falls contains evidence that microbes have survived in prehistoric seawater deep under ice for perhaps millions of years, a new study says.

The colony of microscopic life-forms may have been trapped when Antarctica's then advancing Taylor Glacier reached into the ocean 1.5 to 4 million years ago.

What's more, the tiny organisms' feeding habits apparently give the falls their shocking color. continued...
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Glacier "Bleeds" Proof of Million-Year-Old Life-Forms

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:23 am

Mars is calling, but we don't have the cab fare! Alas!

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:33 am

How does that look like blood? To my naive eye that looks just like acid mine drainage.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:18 am

I know this article isn't about trees, but it does touch on biology and ecology. I have seen several articles about this glacier. This wasn't the most recent of those, but was a better but older description. I suppose everyone is not familiar with Acid Mine Drainage and it is fairly common to characterize any red liquid as blood. In some photos it looks more red and less orange.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Chris

Post by Chris » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:18 am

Life is always more amazing then we give it credit for.

Return to “Antarctica”