Historic Lumber Mill Photos from Chile

Discussions of the great trees and forest of South America.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Historic Lumber Mill Photos from Chile

Post by edfrank » Fri May 03, 2013 9:52 pm

NTS,

A friend on Facebook, Olga Guzmán Reyes, posted a series of photos showing a turn of the 20th century saw mill and a few showing a group of people on a large stump. I was having difficulty locating that last particular photo among all that had been posted on Facebook in the intervening months. She kindly forwarded me the information on that and other sawmill photos:
I think you are referred to the Photo number 35 (of 139) Album "Antepasados", which appears a millennial oak, cut, on which 11 people are sitting. This Photo was taken in FUNDO "EL CHEQUÉN" of my Grandfather, in early Twentieth Century; it concerns an area called "LAS HORTENCIAS", between FREIRE and CUNCO (IX Region of Chile). In this FUNDO, there was Sawmill. 16-17-19-36-39-49-50-93-130 and 134 Photos correspond to Works in Sawmill. I hope this information will serve.
The following is the entire series of photos with the captions in both the original Spanish and an English version that is a combination of Google Translate and my own poor efforts. Two of the photos are duplicates but have also been included for the sake of completeness.

image001.jpg
image001.jpg (43.95 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
1 above
Faenas Madereras en el Fundo de mi Abuelo, "EL Chequén", Las Hortensias, entre Freire y Cunco. Son Fotos Históricas, porque estamos hablando de fines del Siglo XIX y Primera Mitad del Siglo XX,
[Timber in Fundo Faenas my Grandfather, "THE Chequén", Las Hortensias, between Freire and Cunco. Historical Photos are because we are talking of the late nineteenth and first half of the twentieth century,]
image002.jpg
2 above
Faenas Madereras, segunda Mitad del Siglo XIX y primera Mitad del Siglo XX, en "El Chequén", fundo de mi Abuelo. Foto Histórica; los bueyes enyugados van tirando grandes troncos, "todo se hacía a pulso",
[ Faenas Madereras, second half of the nineteenth century and first half of the twentieth century, in "The Chequén", founded by my Grandfather. Historical Photo; yoked oxen pulling big logs going, "everything was done freehand"]
image003.jpg
image003.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
3 above
Foto Histórica: Faenas Madereras en el Fundo "El Chequén", [Historical Photo: Timber Faenas in Fundo "The Chequén"]
image004.jpg
4 above
With Jorge Guzman, Hno. de mi Abuelo, Tío Jorge Guzmán Jiménez (Tte. Coronel de Ejército), Tía Elsa Guzmán Jiménez (Ped. en Biología y Química; Químico Farmacéutico; Concertista Piano), Tío Luis Guzman Jimenez (Gral. de Carabineros), Nana y sus dos hijos,Tía Alicia Guzmán Jiménez, Abuelo Gregorio Guzmán Ferrada and Otra Nana.
[With Jorge Guzman, Brother of my Grandfather, Uncle Jorge Guzman Jimenez (Tte. Army Colonel), Aunt Elsa Guzman Jimenez (Ped. in Biology and Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Piano Soloist), Uncle Luis Guzman Jimenez (General of Police ), Nana and her two children, Aunt Alicia Guzman Jimenez, Grandfather Gregorio Guzman Ferrada and Other Nana.]
image005.jpg
5 above
Faenas Madereras, principios Siglo XX, [Faenas Madereras, early twentieth century,]
image006.jpg
6 above
Faenas Madereras, [ Faenas Madereras ]
image007.jpg
7 above
El LOCOMOVIL, típica Máquina, usada en Faenas Madereras, No sé, Rodolfo, no entiendo mucho del tema, pero sé que los usaban en el Aserradero del Fundo de mi Abuelo Paterno, Gregorio Guzmán Ferrada. Esta Foto es de ahí. La tenía mi Papá.
[The steam engine, typical machine, used in Faenas Timber, I do not know, Rodolfo, do not understand much about it, but I know the Sawmill used in the Fundo de mi Abuelo Paterno, Gregorio Guzman Ferrada. This Photo is from there. This was my Dad.]
image008.jpg
8 above
El LOCOMOVIL, Máquina de Aserradero, [The steam engine, sawmill machine,]
image009.jpg
image009.jpg (53.36 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
9 above
Faenas Madereras
image010.jpg
10 above
Faenas Madereras
image011.jpg
11 above
With Hermano del Abuelo, Jorge Guzmán, Tío Jorge Guzmán Jiménez (Tte. Coronel de Ejército), Abuela María del Pilar Jiménez Campos, Tía Elsa Guzmán Jiménez (Ped. en Biología y Química; Químico Farmacéutico; Concertista Piano), Tío Luis Guzmán Jiménez (Gral. de Carabineros), Nana y sus dos hijos,Tía Alicia Guzmán Jiménez, Alicia Guzmán Jiménez,Abuelo Gregorio Guzmán Ferrada and Nana.
Fundo "El Chequén" de mi Abuelo Gregorio Guzmán: el Tronco de un Roble milenario recién cortado. Hay 11 personas arriba. En ese tiempo, no había conciencia sobre la destrucción de los antiguos Bosques de Robles. Hoy día, junto con Loreena McKennitt, expresamos un Lamento, una Queja, por esa maravillosa Naturaleza no Preservada.

With Grandpa Brother, Jorge Guzman, Uncle Jorge Guzman Jimenez (Tte. Army Colonel), Abuela María del Pilar Jimenez Campos, Aunt Elsa Guzman Jimenez (Ped. in Biology and Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Piano Soloist), Uncle Luis Guzman Jimenez (General of police), Nana and her two children, Aunt Alicia Guzmán Jiménez, Alicia Guzman Jimenez Ferrada Grandfather Gregorio Guzman and Nana.
Fundo "The Chequén" My Grandfather Gregorio Guzman: the ancient trunk of a freshly cut oak. There are 11 people up. At that time, there was no awareness of the destruction of the ancient forests of oaks. Today, along with Loreena McKennitt, we express a regret, a Complaint, for that wonderful Nature Preserved no.
image012.jpg
image012.jpg (54.81 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
12 above
Faenas Madereras Fundo "El Chequén"
Las Hortencias, de Freire a Cunco
My family had lands in Maternal Zone Paterna Pumanque and my family, my Grandfather, Fundo "Saint Joan", arriving at Bulnes and "The Chequén" in The Hortencias, between Freire and Cunco. My dad, Carlos Guzman Jimenez, had a brother, Jorge Guzman Jimenez was Army Lieutenant Colonel. (Currently, two children, my cousins, Alvaro and Jorge Guzman Fredes also Military). Another brother of my father, Luis Guzman Jimenez was General of Police. I'm not sure, but I think that Uncle George was Artillery, so I should have been in Linares. In these photos, you can see the early life in the Chilean fields of late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and work in sawmills, in "Ell Chequén". I have more photos, they go up slowly.
Olga Guzmán Reyes writes:
I have no objection to publish this old sawmill photos of my Grandfather Gregorio Guzmán Ferrada, my father´s father, Carlos Guzmán Jiménez. On the contrary, I would like to be kept in a Historic Register (I think I have more, I look for another photos). Only, I ask you that mention the Source and the name of my Grandfather, R.I.P.; and, if it is possible, let me a copy of the magazine.
Edward Forrest Frank

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “South America”