WNTS Old Growth Conference-Durango CO-2014

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#21)  Re: WNTS Old Growth Conference-Durango CO-2014

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:16 pm

Hey, I am planning on doing some pre/post conference backpacking, so if anyone is interested in getting some additional high altitude exercise.... :)
Chris

Has Liked: 144 times
Has Been Liked: 61 times
Print view this post

#22)  Re: WNTS Old Growth Conference-Durango CO-2014

Postby Matt Markworth » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:44 pm

Chris,

I could probably do some post conference *light* backpacking. I'll have a tent/backpack, but was only planning on designated campsites. Without high altitude experience, I couldn't promise much more than that. As long as I get to measure a few trees I'll be satisfied:)

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1060 times
Has Been Liked: 811 times
Print view this post

#23)  Re: WNTS Old Growth Conference-Durango CO-2014

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:54 am

I am stilling hoping to go...... so those of you camping out, what campground are you all are staying at? It would be nice to relax after a day of measuring with some adult beverages triple checking math computations. It looks like Junction Creek and Hermosa Creek are the two closest to Durango and the sites we will be visiting.

Maybe you all can make a tree measurer out of me yet! :D
Chris

Print view this post

#24)  Re: WNTS Old Growth Conference-Durango CO-2014

Postby Matt Markworth » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:35 am

Chris wrote:I am stilling hoping to go...... so those of you camping out, what campground are you all are staying at? It would be nice to relax after a day of measuring with some adult beverages triple checking math computations. It looks like Junction Creek and Hermosa Creek are the two closest to Durango and the sites we will be visiting.

Maybe you all can make a tree measurer out of me yet! :D

Chris,

I plan on camping at Hermosa Creek for up to 2 weeks. If the campground gets too busy (which I doubt), then I would probably find a dispersed camping site fairly close. Email me when/if you arrive and we can meet up to discuss camping plans, good days to measure, etc. My email is markworth@mail.com.

Matt
Matt Markworth

Print view this post

#25)  Re: WNTS Old Growth Conference-Durango CO-2014

Postby dbhguru » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Will, Matt, Chris, et. al.,

For those who have arrived by early Aug 2nd, a group of us plan to go to Coal Bank Pass north of Durango on U.S. 550 to look for more tall Englemann spruce. I fully expect Will to break my record of 142 feet for a spruce growing at approximately two miles above sea level. He'll probably need between a half hour and an hour. Yes, it is embarrassing, but what can I say? I'll put Will's ability to quickly assess and spot tall trees on a par with anyone, anywhere.

We'll probably hike up the Engineer Mountain Trail for a mile or so, looking for tall trees. So, this won't about hiking, but searching and measuring tall trees. Hopefully, we can catalog a large number of them, compute some statistics, and later write a report for the Mountain Studies Institute and the San Juan NF. I think an NTS-MSI partnership is a possibility. But we need more than isolated tree measurements to give them something useful. I think Dr. Rob Blair of MSI may join us.

We plan to leave Durango at around 10:00AM. So, Matt, if you (or you and Chris) are at Hermosa campground, you'll be ideally positioned. BTW, BVP will be part of the group. Anyone who hasn't met Bob Van Pelt, be prepared to meet a living legend.

We will probably plan a short outing on Aug 3rd. I don't know where it would be yet.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes - 2:
Chris, Matt Markworth
dbhguru

Has Liked: 3 times
Has Been Liked: 1051 times
Print view this post

#26)  Re: WNTS Old Growth Conference-Durango CO-2014

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:49 pm

Darn, it looks like I will miss Aug 2, but should be around for Aug 3 (and the week).
Chris

Print view this post

#27)  Re: WNTS Old Growth Conference-Durango CO-2014

Postby Matt Markworth » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:09 pm

dbhguru wrote:Will, Matt, Chris, et. al.,

For those who have arrived by early Aug 2nd, a group of us plan to go to Coal Bank Pass north of Durango on U.S. 550 to look for more tall Englemann spruce. I fully expect Will to break my record of 142 feet for a spruce growing at approximately two miles above sea level. He'll probably need between a half hour and an hour. Yes, it is embarrassing, but what can I say? I'll put Will's ability to quickly assess and spot tall trees on a par with anyone, anywhere.

We'll probably hike up the Engineer Mountain Trail for a mile or so, looking for tall trees. So, this won't about hiking, but searching and measuring tall trees. Hopefully, we can catalog a large number of them, compute some statistics, and later write a report for the Mountain Studies Institute and the San Juan NF. I think an NTS-MSI partnership is a possibility. But we need more than isolated tree measurements to give them something useful. I think Dr. Rob Blair of MSI may join us.

We plan to leave Durango at around 10:00AM. So, Matt, if you (or you and Chris) are at Hermosa campground, you'll be ideally positioned. BTW, BVP will be part of the group. Anyone who hasn't met Bob Van Pelt, be prepared to meet a living legend.

We will probably plan a short outing on Aug 3rd. I don't know where it would be yet.

Bob

Bob,

Sounds great! I just got into town. I'll meet you at Coal Bank Pass in the morning, lasers in hand.

Matt
Matt Markworth

Print view this post

#28)  Re: WNTS Old Growth Conference-Durango CO-2014

Postby dbhguru » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:14 pm

Matt,

Sooopa! We'll be there between 10:00AM and 10:30AM.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 3 times
Has Been Liked: 1051 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Events 2014