Bird Injuries/Illnesses

Accounts of wildlife and wildlife encounters.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

Bird Injuries/Illnesses

Post by Jenny » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:55 am

If in Maine or Southern New Hampshire: In the spirit of the Martin Luther King quote about helping people and animals in need, I'm a bird rehabber! If you ever see an injured gull, pigeon, starling, sparrow, hawk,....any bird - even a baby who has fallen out of a nest and can't be replaced. Get in touch with me with the location and I'll go. For pigeons, starling, sparrows and smaller birds, you can toss a towel over them, pick them up, put them in a dark box with air holes, and keep them in a warm spot. I'll pick it up or you can drop it off with me or, if it's closer, at a rehab center. The bigger birds...be wary! Gulls beaks are fierce(almost had my lip ripped off!) and raptor talons are downright dangerous. This is a picture of a severely injured pigeon, but even a bird huddled in a corner on the ground is probably sick or injured. Don't worry about disease! If you're concerned just use the towel for contact.

Jenny
pigeon rescue.JPG
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Return to “Wildlife and Wildlife Encounters”