Bear attack! (On my Doug-fir tree?!?!)

Accounts of wildlife and wildlife encounters.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Bear attack! (On my Doug-fir tree?!?!)

Postby PAwildernessadvocate » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks you guys.

Come to think of it, the Animal Planet channel was just up here in the Allegheny National Forest in the past month looking for and filming a show about bigfoot. I kid you not!
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson
PAwildernessadvocate

Has Liked: 166 times
Has Been Liked: 72 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Bear attack! (On my Doug-fir tree?!?!)

Postby Chris » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:20 am

Sigh.......

Think if the money people have spent, the TV shows filmed, the hours spent "looking" had been focused on, you know, real things that exist. So instead of bigfoot, why not, lets say bigtrees.

For this message the author Chris has received Likes :
PAwildernessadvocate
Chris

Has Liked: 144 times
Has Been Liked: 61 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Bear attack! (On my Doug-fir tree?!?!)

Postby Rand » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:13 pm

I've seen rutting dear inflict similar levels of damage quite often in ohio.  Generally as long as the stem isn't completely girdled, the tree usually bounces back in a few years.  Provided you supply the adequate fortifications anyway...

For this message the author Rand has received Likes :
PAwildernessadvocate
Rand

Has Liked: 270 times
Has Been Liked: 373 times
Print view this post

#14)  Re: Bear attack! (On my Doug-fir tree?!?!)

Postby PAwildernessadvocate » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:24 am

PAwildernessadvocate wrote:I will want to leave it staked for at least another growing season. Ideally I should probably leaved it staked through the 2014 growing season as well, but I'll probably just take it off about this time next year and leave it at that.

So 2016 is now the fifth growing season since the bear attack on my Douglas-fir tree. I still have it staked. I will probably take the stake off late this fall. This makes me a little nervous because the tree still seems a little wobbly in the ground. I'm not sure the root system has entirely recovered.

In both 2013 and 2014 the leader and other new growth died, and I had to steer side branches both years to become new leaders. Light wooden dowel with twisty-ties to hold it in place through the end of each growing season.

It still has the appearance of being a little bit spindly and not particularly vigorous. But it is now fifteen feet tall or more, and at least the last two years no new growth has failed or died off like in the first two years after the attack.

I hope it lives after I take the plunge and remove the stake!

DSCF3711.JPG

DSCF3712.JPG

Last edited by PAwildernessadvocate on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson
PAwildernessadvocate

Print view this post

#15)  Re: Bear attack! (On my Doug-fir tree?!?!)

Postby PAwildernessadvocate » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:26 am

Rats, for some reason the pictures turned out sideways.
PAwildernessadvocate

Print view this post

#16)  Re: Bear attack! (On my Doug-fir tree?!?!)

Postby PAwildernessadvocate » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:51 pm

Well, I took the support rope off of it a week or so ago. She's on her own now!

douglasfirtrunk2.jpg

douglasfirtrunk1.jpg

You can see the slanted, darkened part of the bark where the little protective section of garden hose rested for five growing seasons.

Excited to see how this tree does next summer!
PAwildernessadvocate

Print view this post

#17)  Re: Bear attack! (On my Doug-fir tree?!?!)

Postby wisconsitom » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:02 pm

Tree appears to be planted too deeply.  You want to be able to see the root flare when done planting.  In this case, the root flare is buried, and in time, that will kill this tree.  I'd recommend digging it back up, planting it correctly, staking if needed-for no more than one year-your tree is weak from being staked for 5 years.  We never do that.  If stake is required, it definitely comes off after one year.  Five is way too long.  You very likely weakened the tree forever with that stake.  Trees develop trunk strength when they flex in the wind.  With that stake on there, it has not had to develop its own strength and it hasn't.

I also doubt the bear angle to this story.  Buck rub seems far more likely, although I will admit, most buck rubs I see end up worse than that.

For this message the author wisconsitom has received Likes :
PAwildernessadvocate
wisconsitom

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 17 times
Print view this post

#18)  Re: Bear attack! (On my Doug-fir tree?!?!)

Postby djluthringer » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:18 am

Doug' fir... yummmm !
----------------------------

For this message the author djluthringer has received Likes :
PAwildernessadvocate
djluthringer

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 47 times
Print view this post

#19)  Re: Bear attack! (On my Doug-fir tree?!?!)

Postby PAwildernessadvocate » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:01 am

wisconsitom wrote:Tree appears to be planted too deeply.

The trunk is just surrounded by English ivy, so the actual ground surface is probably an inch or two below what it appears to be in those photos.

I don't like the English ivy, but it was present before I moved in 15 years ago. It tends to spread around. Oh well. I peel it off my trees when it starts climbing the trunks.
PAwildernessadvocate

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Wildlife and Wildlife Encounters