Canary Island pine – the tallest pine of Europe… or Africa

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

KoutaR

Re: Canary Island pine – the tallest pine of Europe… or Afri

Post by KoutaR » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Yes, the tallest trees of laurisilva, Ocotea foetens and Persea indica, are max. 40 m tall according to identification books.

Kouta

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:15 am

Kouta, Wow! Cool posting. I'm not real familiar with the species. How old would you estimate these big trees are? Like North America and Europe most of the large Pines have been cut down. So when the continents were together Pines where all about the same species and as they drifted the different species developed over the years, right. So Canary Island Pine would be related to some type of North American Pine? Needles look similar to Longleaf. I looked it up- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_canariensis Larry

KoutaR

Post by KoutaR » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:11 am

Larry,

I have seen an estimation of 700 to 800 years. I don't know how reliable it is. The species is fairly fast-growing.

Your scenario for pine speciation is correct in principle but extremely simplified. The origin and the early speciation of the genus is thought to be in eastern Asia, then pines dispersed all over the northern hemisphere. There have likely been multiple dispersal events from Eurasia to North America and vice versa through the land bridges at Beringia and North Atlantic. Finally the land bridges disappeared, the Beringian Land Bridge only at 5Ma.

I listed the closest relatives of Canary Island pine in message #3. They all are European or western Asian. The next closest relatives comprise a clade of about 15-17 species. They include e.g. P. sylvestris, P. mugo and P. nigra, and of North American species only P. resinosa.

Kouta

Return to “Spain”