Chernobyl's de facto Wilderness Area

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#21)  Re: Chernobyl's de facto Wilderness Area

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Joe wrote:

or maybe not---

Joe

We're going to burn down the Earth's ecosystems as we have known them. The human-caused Sixth extinction will continue apace until we, too, are gone. It's coming and there's not a damned thing than can be done to stop it. I am wholly convinced of this fact. All you have to do is look at what has happened to Earth since I was a kid. There has been an ongoing, inexorable, and unstoppable destruction of the natural world by humans. If you think that we'll stop burning fossil fuels before the last drop of oil has been pumped out of the crust, or the last chunk of coal has been peeled out of the rock and burnt, or the final liter of natural gas has been fracked, then you are fooling yourself. The forests will all be felled, their animal inhabitants killed and eaten; the rivers fouled beyond description;  the aquifers despoiled; the soil poisoned beyond reclamation.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I have yet to see one goddamned shred of evidence that this is not the way things are going to end up.

Twenty years from now there won't be a single wild elephant. Tigers will be a fading memory. Wolves will be gone. My son will live to see the last of the great megafauna go down to extinction.

Get out in the forests and wilderness to experience the shreds of nature remaining to us. It will soon be all gone.

Fading glacier. One tiny indication of what we have done to Mother Earth.
jamesrobertsmith

Has Liked: 494 times
Has Been Liked: 117 times
Print view this post

#22)  Re: Chernobyl's de facto Wilderness Area

Postby Joe » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:19 pm

jamesrobertsmith wrote:
Joe wrote:

or maybe not---

Joe

[b]We're going to burn down the Earth's ecosystems as we have known them. The human-caused Sixth extinction will continue apace until we, too, are gone.

Life is tough stuff- some form of life and some form of ecosystem(s) will survive. Not even full scale nuclear war could destroy all life. Then, eventually, it will recover as it did after the asteroid or comet that wiped out the dinasaurs. I think humans and their descendents will be around billions of years from now- though they may be on another planet. The eternal transformation/evolution of the infinite cosmos will continue.  The upcoming catastrophes will be just another chapter in the story of life on Earth.

So though it's "bad"- on a larger scale, it's just what is, another experiment on this third rock from our star. Which of course doesn't mean we shouldn't try to stop it from happening- as that's the role of some of us.
Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 170 times
Print view this post

#23)  Re: Chernobyl's de facto Wilderness Area

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:12 pm

Oh, definitely! Life will go on.

As soon as Man is shed from the system, the things that remain will flourish and diversify. I like to point out that, given time, there is no reason a pigeon cannot become a great eagle; a rat a tiger; a dog a hulking bear; a minnow a huge and stalking shark. The things we leave behind will fan out, fill the niches, and evolve.

It's just that there won't be any humans around to see Earth heal.
jamesrobertsmith

Has Liked: 494 times
Has Been Liked: 117 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Russia