TV Oak in Stockholm May Be Cut Down

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  TV Oak in Stockholm May Be Cut Down

Postby edfrank » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:27 pm

There has been an interesting series of discussions going on int he Swedish Tree Forum (Svenskt Trädforum)  http://www.facebook.com/groups/tradforum/ on Facebook.  The recent discussions have focused on the efforts to save an ancient oak - known as teh TV Oak - slated for removal in Stockholm, Sweden

Cilla Lundstrom
Press Release, 22/11 at 17:15
TV-oak crown peer-reviewed today-acute risk is not

Television oak imposed by Björn Embra on Traffic Office continues to be investigated by the country's most renowned artists and arborists. The results are analyzed in a large international circle of trees and mushroom expert.

Last Sunday, Jon was able to do so, acknowledged as one of the best in the arborist profession, found that the strain was so rotten that the tree had to be felled. Today, Daniel Dew Feldt and Jörg Roepcke from Trees must continue to identify the tree's decay in the trunk with tomograf and resistografmätningar. They both agree that the oak does not pose an immediate acute risk to the environment.
Dew Feldt will coordinate its analysis with this, and other tree experts tomorrow examining the oak and its soil environment.

- The municipality should reasonably welcome this additional information which may lead to more informed decisions. Of course, this should be weighed against the municipality reports including Erik Solfjelds report to be tabled today. Hopefully, the total surface lead to a better decision, which also Save the Oak Group can accept, says Daniel Dew Feldt.

- Now, if the municipality by Ulla Hamilton (M) and Bjorn Embra persist in dropping the tree but to reflect on new facts or to keep the promises of the Norwegian report is published, then this becomes a story that will be spoken of in several decades. What does the Public Transport Authority is now on the conclusions we have stated that the situation is not urgent? asks Cilla Lundström.

- Do not all parties including the media to know what the situation is with the oak's health? Perhaps we can agree that no immediate danger exists and traffic restrictions eased up before taking further steps. The place can be a beautiful venue for conversation and information about not only a marker history, but also what it means for the city's citizens. With the charisma that a Vasa Ship, says Henrik Waldenström the Save the Oak Group.

For more information:
Henrik Waldenström, http://www.tv-eken.se, coordinate information work
Per Schönning, http://www.tv-eken.se, coordinates aktvistinsatserna
Cilla Lundstrom, info at tradvardskolan.se, coordinates efforts arborist
Jon addition, tree expert transparent trunk
Daniel Dew Feldt, trees must have led arborist the crown and rotundersökning today.

See also: Tv4nyheterna interview with Jon addition November 21, 2011,
http://www.dn.se/sthlm/ingen-risk-att-tv-eken-faller

------------------

PRESS RELEASE 22/11 9:50 pm

New measurements on the television oak now

Now make a new arborist team measurements of stems and branches bearing capacity of the TV-oak, despite the threat of removal by police. In the morning, the consulting arborist Daniel Dew Feldt, who leads the investigations with tomograf and resistograf.

- I climbed a tree during the night and got a good feel for what and how we will measure, says Dew Feldt this morning.

Tonight requested Ulla Hamilton, M, results of previous measurements made in a letter to Save the Oak Group. That analysis of the strain showed that it has far greater strength than it needs to wear the crown had the day been presented in interviews in the media. It was the first time the tribe reviewed. Cilla Lundstrom, coordinator of the independent arborist 'efforts, tried Traffic Office Mats Freij throughout the day but to no avail.

- Our research shows that the oak's condition does not involve immediate risk causing the emergency, writes Lundstrom to Hamilton.
Today, the Public Transport Authority spent more time planning the police operation to remove arborists and activists from the tree, than to take part in the surveys conducted.

- Give us time to explore the oak tree in the living state, you can start exchanging information, says Lundstrom.

The correspondence with Hamilton's here https://www.facebook.com/groups/103169009746600/

Cilla Lundstrom, arborist the coordinator
Daniel Dew Feldt, Tree Masters, lead arborist the work on site from about 10 o'clock.

--------------------------------------------

http://www.dn.se/blogg/epstein/2011/11/20/arborister-tv-eken-riskerar-inte-att-kollapsa/?fb_ref=.TsmafYng78Q.like&fb_source=home_oneline

Cilla Experienced arborists, "TV-oak no risk of collapse '

Written by Lars Epstein 20:49, 20 November 2011 in category General

Arborist is Johan Gustavsson examines television oak.

TV-oak is unlikely to collapse.

So one can summarize the experienced arborist s Jon addition and Johan Gustavsson's investigation with tomography (sound waves) that occurred on Sunday. The two arborist groups had on their own initiative, sat in the car at half past six on Sunday morning and drove up to Stockholm and Oxenstiernsgatan to help to investigate the controversial tree.

Cilla Lundstrom
Per Hansson, associate professor at SLU: I have no doubt that these independent arborists and tree experts now done an initial survey of the incidence of rot in oak. It was clear to me on the basis of both images and second-hand information from my colleagues that statements from Stockholm city officials and politicians that the tree would be "dead", "dead as a doornail," "dying," "thoroughly rotten" and "could collapse at any time "does not correspond to reality. I will then be very curious as to why you take such exaggeration. I thought the officials and politicians would stick to the truth. Even if you are afraid of the claims we have any injuries, we must not lie. I men to their senses and to reflect on how many people in Stockholm damaged by fallen branches or whole trees (which they are intimidated by this) compared to how many people are injured in traffic or in elite sport. Already after a short reflection seems reasoning regarding the dangerous television oak be slightly exaggerated. Who said that there must be people under the oak crown at all? Instead let us instead an immediate end to the decades-long battered by the oak and come to appreciate the example by improving rottillståndet and secure the crown with a few wires. When is it safe for a century!
Per Hansson, forest pathologist at SLU, 00:51, 21 November 2011.

Tobias Fischer
‎Jon Hartill;
We have spent 8 hrs gathering tomography data at 8 seperate points on the stem with the aim to assess wood density and using mechanical assessment software establish what the residual strength of the stem is likely to be, this just as a preliminary inspection bearing in mind that the roots can not be accessed easily and that there are no urban wind model simulations available for this particular location.

All of the tomograph simulations both 2 d and 3d are telling us that there is between 50-65% strength remaining. And this in a tree that has had significant crown weight reduction undertaken over the last 10 yrs.

Certainly room for thought, and more importantly cause for perspective before destroying this ancient organism.
At least, before destroying it gather as much valuable information as possible before throwing it through the chipper.
This tree is an important learning resource, it is more valuable to the arborist community alive than dead, it is not acutely dangerous.

We also need to consider, if a risk exists, what is the probability of the tree causing harm and what can be done to reduce this risk in terms of target reduction, i have not seen any such considerations in the summary report.
Over 300 people a year are killed in cars every year and we don't ban that, last year in Sweden 2 people were killed by falling trees, non by falling branches, and neither of these trees were oaks, nor were they inspected prior to faliure.
As far as i know , in the last 500 yrs this oak has killed no one so why the panic now?

http://www.stockholm.se/KlimatMiljo/Natur-och-parker/Trad/TV-eken/
The so-called "TV-oak" on Oxenstiernsgatan is attacked by fungus, which has achieved extensive rot in the stem, root and branches. This allows the tree to collapse. The risk of branches falling into the street is considered large.

The main reason that the oak is sick is that it is at a vulnerable point in the middle of traffic, with many years of changing soil conditions in the housing, construction of radio housing and changes in street soil levels.

Traffic Office tree experts have done extensive studies have revealed a serious injury in the trunk, roots and branches. The assessment is to either have the tree taken down in full or cropped so much that basically just a piece of stem left.
New studies

The oak is as important to us at the Public Transport Authority as the locals, so we ordered a new investigation of an arborist from the City of Oslo, which was conducted on 10 November.

Arborist Eric Solfjeld pointed out in its investigation that there was a risk that the oak was suffering from root rot. Therefore, the Traffic Office on November 16 extended studies of the oak root system. The wooden deck that existed around the oak tree was broken up and we could see that the tree-pruner suspicions were justified. See photos and read more on More about the oak permission .
The oak will be felled

Erik Solfjelds preliminary first report is provided below on the page.

The report supports the findings of the oak permission previously given by the Traffic Office. Erik Solfjeld pronounce also suspect that the oak affected by root rot. This suspicion has been proved correct.

Traffic Office's management has decided that the oak will be felled for safety reasons. The precipitate could not be implemented as scheduled on Friday 18 November, because the police could not guarantee the safety of the activists or entrepreneur.
Oxenstiernsgatan off

From 15.00 on Friday, November 18 Oxenstiernsgatan closed to through traffic (part Strand / Berwaldhallen - Valhallavägen). This means that buses on the route will be diverted.

Shutdown until further notice and are made of safety for the general public and road users. When the oak tree in danger of falling recommend Traffic Office that you are not staying nearby.

Residents and commercial traffic will have access to parking garages and loading docks, even after shutdown.

Mark Evans Just seen the TV 4 interview http://www.tv4play.se/nyheter_och_debat ... id=2099412

Tobias Fischer
The following email was sent to Stockholm City councillors this morning, for those equally concerned I suggest visiting the Stockholm City website and expressing your feelings, the President of the Planning Committee is Kevius Regina - r

Dear Members of the Planning Committee,

I am a professional Consulting Arborist based in Australia who has for some years been a champion of the fantastic work which has been done by Stockholm City in relation to many aspects of management of the urban environment. I think it was completely appropriate that your beautiful city was rewarded in 2010 as European Green Capital.  I was therefore shocked and deeply disappointed to read about the planned felling of the famous veteran oak tree - TV-eken - in the city centre.

Whilst I am not (obviously!) there to personally assess the tree I do have many Swedish friends some of whom are Arborists,
Horticulturalists and Environmentalists, I also know that Jon Hartill of Hartill Trädexpert has performed a inspection of stem and
mainbranch union and one major branch that is affected by Laetiporus.  The reported outcome of that investigation was, based on scientific facts (Arbotom, Tomograph) a calculation of at least 50% remaining woodstrength.

I find it hard to understand why given this information the only course of action deemed acceptable to the city is the entire removal of the tree.

You would know (as I do) that local Government can only achieve success in its endeavours if it has the support and trust of the
community, and that actions taken to high profile iconic trees such as the TV-eken can be highly detrimental to that critical relationship between city residents and the council.

I am therefore requesting that Stockholm City review the testing carried out by Jon Hartill of Hartill Trädexpert and examine if there is not an alternative management approach to felling, which would better fit with the ethos of European Green Capital.

As a founding member of the Veteran Tree Group Australia I am well aware of the range of potential approaches available.

I hope that someone in a position of delegated authority may consider this request and be willing to act upon it.

Yours Respectfully

Sean Freeman (Founding Member Veteran Tree Group Australia)

BA Hons MISA MAA QAA
Dip Hort (Arb) Dip Hort
Consulting Arborist
Queensland Australia
QTRA Lic No. 762 ISA Certified Arborist AU-0045A

Jon Hartill
Radio Oak, Stockholm
For well over the past 20 years, the Ancient Tree Forum has pursued an information campaign to raise the awareness of the public and government of the importance of ancient and veteran trees not only in the UK but also across Europe. These trees are immensely valuable for their contribution to our cultural heritage and for their biodiversity and genetic value.
I have given talks to audiences throughout the UK and Eire – in 2010 I spoke to 2700 people. I have written many articles in the media and made many radio and TV appearances. Members of the Ancient Tree Forum and I have spoken in nearly every country in Europe at many national conferences and seminars and formed close working relationships with other groups especially in Sweden and Spain. A charity in the UK, the Woodland Trust, has funded 2 visits to the European Commission to raise awareness of the significance of ancient trees to Europe – on one occasion the event was hosted by a Swedish MEP.
Sweden is ahead of all other countries in Europe in its care and regard for ancient trees. Sweden is also unique in being the only nation in Europe ever to hold a three day conference devoted to the oak tree. For the small number of participants from Britain and other countries the conference was unique in being held all in English. In my summing up speech to this conference I drew parallels as both our Kingdoms are proud of our heritage of historic explorers and seafarers whose ships were made of oak.
So, it is with great sadness that I have learnt about the decision to fell the Radio Oak and the loss of an irreplaceable part of our European heritage. Oaks have played a significant part in both our nations’ history and while we conserve and treasure our man-made emblems that celebrate our past achievements, we show so little regard to our living heritage – our ancient oaks.
Ted Green,
Founder member of the Ancient Tree Forum, awarded the Member of the British Empire medal by the Queen on behalf of the nation for contribution to the conservation of our ancient trees.

Johnny Schimmel
It is difficult to understand that stress until a precipitate no respect for public opinion that exists. Especially as it now appears that there may be question marks about the risk assessments have been made. Above all, should it take for the tree may be felled, have been discussion about the options that may exist to maintain an aging trees in urban areas, despite the risks it entails in terms of falling branches, etc. We should therefore give architects, urban planners and landscape architects an opportunity to come up with solutions to plan for the environment and location, based on the continued presence of the oak.

As director of the world's most northerly arboretum I am working on trying to create trees with just the ecological, cultural and aesthetic values ​​that are united in the "TV-oak." When I plant a tree, I know that both I and my children and grandchildren will be dead and buried before that goal has been met. Viewed in that perspective, it is even more incomprehensible that it has such a rush to convict this aging oak right now.

Cilla Lundstrom
LOWERING THE TV EKENSBERG PREPARED FOR TOMORROW.
According to reliable sources in the municipality is almost the whole plan for police and traffic office co-precipitate prepared for tomorrow. This is despite new data which suggest that the situation is not acute and that there is time to talk about options.
Who should trap is clear - no known arborist, but one that worked for one of the firms.

Arborist question the municipality's decision to fell the oak
http://www.tv4play.se
TV-oak tree still stands in spite of threats and decisions on precipitation. Over the weekend, the tree examined by arborists. We have met one of them, who question the municipality's decision to fell the oak.

Cilla Lundstrom
PRESS RELEASE 22/11 9:50 pm
New measurements on the television oak now
Now make a new arborist team measurements of stems and branches bearing capacity of the TV-oak, despite the threat of removal by police. In the morning, the consulting arborist Daniel Dew Feldt, who leads the investigations with tomograf and resistograf.
- I climbed a tree during the night and got a good feel for what and how we will measure, says Dew Feldt this morning.
Tonight requested Ulla Hamilton, M, results of previous measurements made ​​in a letter to Save the Oak Group. That analysis of the strain showed that it has far greater strength than it needs to wear the crown had the day been presented in interviews in the media. It was the first time the tribe reviewed. Cilla Lundstrom, coordinator of the independent arborist 'efforts, tried Traffic Office Mats Freij throughout the day but to no avail.
- Our research shows that the oak's condition does not involve immediate risk causing the emergency, writes Lundstrom to Hamilton.
Today, the Public Transport Authority spent more time planning the police operation to remove arborists and activists from the tree, than to take part in the surveys conducted.

- Give us time to explore the oak tree in the living state, you can start exchanging information, says Lundstrom.
The correspondence with Hamilton's here https://www.facebook.com/groups/103169009746600/
Cilla Lundstrom, arborist the coordinator.

Erik Birath
I was under the oak at Oxenstiernsgatan tonight and watched. I've never been near it before, but tonight I went up to the tree and took a good look. I took a silhouette image of the tree and played with the idea of ​​a weight-reducing reduction. It can be done, and it would definitely be nice, and above all, together with the latest pictures from tomografen, the result would be an approved tree from a risk point of view. Do not fall EKENSBERG!

Heather Thomas
Sure you can replace a large old tree. But if you want a lively five hundred year old oak, so it is not enough to plant a tree and wait five hundred years. It takes approximately five hundred new oak trees to one of them will reach five hundred years old. And if you want a thousand year old oak tree is not enough thousands of newly planted (except that you have to wait an entire millennium, that is).

http://www.dn.se/blogg/epstein/2011/11/24/det-finns-inget-stod-for-akutfallning-av-tv-eken/
"There is no support for cutting down of television oak"

Written by Lars Epstein 02:22, 24 November 2011 in the category-CLICK ENLARGE, Nature, Östermalm

Stockholm (and now Sweden) most famous tree, TV-oak on Oxenstiernsgatan, which would been cut down for almost a month ago is still standing, more thoroughly examined than any other tree....

Arborist Daniel Dew Feldt performs a so-called resisto graph survey on television oak to investigate its stability

How much money are TV-oak worth?
http://www.direktpress.se/ostermalmsnytt/Asikt/Debatt/Hur-mycket-pengar-ar-tv-eken-vard/

Debate scenes around television oak on Oxstiernsgatan has cost the city of SEK 100 000 in cancellation trädfällare and roadblocks, after the traffic must now reassess the oak's condition. Meanwhile, the Green Party a proposal to protect and prop up the oak tree.
What do you think of this story? How much does a tree cost? Should old tree k-fenced to avoid such situations in the future? Is it possible to draw parallels to almstriden in the 1970s? What do you like the MP's motion?

"The oak in unacceptable condition"

http://www.dn.se/sthlm/eken-i-oacceptabelt-skick

The oak at the television house has so much rot in the main stem and one of the side stems to the risk that it will fall is greater than can be accepted.

That is the ruling of the Norwegian tree-pruner Erik Solfjeld hired by the Stockholm Traffic Office to obtain an independent report on the oak permission. Erik Solfjeld geer Stockholm three courses of action:

- To let the oak stand in peace and let it fall where it wants to fall - with the risk that it falls on cars, buses or pedestrians.

- Reduce crown by 40-50 percent so that the strain is able to carry it. It would give an oak with significantly mutilated appearance.

- Shedding the oak and allow tribes to become home to insects and woodpeckers elsewhere in Djurgården.

Erik Solfjeld allows the City to determine which option fits, but it is clear that the report is a support service office's assessment that the oak is a security risk.

Those who fight to preserve the oak has allowed others to arborists examine it and conclude that it is so healthy that it can handle many decades in the middle of Oxenstiernsgatan. On Wednesday, the synthesis, moreover, the first nakendemonstranten in oak.

Cilla Lundstrom
Press release 23/11 at 17:18

Standalone investigation team of Norwegian investigation: The advocates nor acute precipitant

- Neither the Norwegian study and our preliminary measurements indicate that the situation is urgent and the need to panic, trap or keep the area cordoned off, says Cilla Lundstrom, coordinator of arboristers and tree experts independent investigation.
- There is no support for an acute precipitant, nor of the Transport Administration's previous documentation also contains factual errors here and there, she says. The municipality must do now is the time to compare our measurements with the reasoning as contained in the Norwegian report.

The independent tree expert group has had less than an hour to read and go through the Norwegian report. They have gathered large amounts of measurement results of roots stambas, stem, crown, stabilization, rot and fungal analysis done in a few days. The group started to work when they realized that the traffic office ordered inquiry from Norway did not mean that the Executor even seen the tribe and stambas and had not seen or measured anything in rotfästena. Video recordings of the traffic office's own investigation of the stem with a hammer and crowbar gave no confidence that a proper assessment could be made. Public Transport Authority has helelr not made a study of the roots other than to have interpreted it in the crown.

- When assessing the value of trees must have properly on your feet and measure with scientifically proven methods. This tree is unique and unparalleled in the city, and attracts considerable interest outside the country. Both the tree, the city and its citizens deserve to benefit from measurable results that not only rests on the hammer, crowbar and ockulära inspections, says Lundstrom.

Hello and welcome everyone! The Norwegian report about the Stockholm TV-oak will come bit by bit in English here, and soon in Norwegian/Swedish.
This is the report that the Stockholm city ordered as independent when their own inspections and judgement to fell the oak was questionned. It is also the report where Erik Solfjeld did not inspect the stem and base since it was covered at the time. The inspection that the Stockholm city lagter made of the stem can be seen at youtube.
When it became clear noone has inspected the stem and what can be seen of the roots, many questions arose in the world on the bases for the descision to fell. An independent team of arborists went rapidly to Stockholm to make a thorough, measurable inspection. We started Sunday and have had four days collecting data of the whole tree. The report is to come.
Now to the Norwegian report that gives little hope for the tree. What do you think of the data collection, of the method, of the conclusions and other? Is this the way a 500 year old oak should be studied?

Analyse Solfjeld's oak report  ( http://www.facebook.com/groups/292404010791798/ )

http://www.stockholm.se/PageFiles/24243 ... lfjeld.pdf

Cilla Lundström
Activist leaders say it could be close to an attempt to fell tomorrow with start taking away activist at 6.
The earlier info with referrence to Dagens Nyheter was wrong. But threat remains and have increased.

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 703 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: TV Oak in Stockholm May Be Cut Down

Postby edfrank » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:41 am

Jill Butler  writes:

Sadly the TV-eken was felled in the middle of the night last night. Despite valiant efforts to find an alternative solution.

The oak was taken down the night of Friday and traffic is dropped on from about 13.00 hours today.

http://www.stockholm.se/-/Nyheter/Trafi ... r-kollaps/
Inloggning mot Stockholms Stads tjänster med elegitimation

The so-called "TV-oak" on Oxenstiernsgatan is attacked by fungus, which has achieved extensive rot in the roots, trunk and branches. This allows the tree to collapse. The risk of branches falling into the street is considered large.

The main reason that the oak is sick is that it is at a vulnerable point in the middle of traffic, with many years of changing soil conditions in the housing, construction of radio housing and changes in street soil levels.
The oak will be felled

Public Transport Authority has been in touch with the arborist Eric Solfjeld from Oslo municipality. His preliminary report can be downloaded from the link below.

Traffic Office's management has decided that the oak will be felled for safety reasons. The precipitate could not be implemented as scheduled on Friday 18 November, because the police could not guarantee the safety of the activists or entrepreneur.
Oxenstiernsgatan off

From 15.00 on Friday, November 18 Oxenstiernsgatan closed to through traffic (part Strand / Berwaldhallen - Valhallavägen). This means that buses on the route will be diverted.

Shutdown until further notice and are made of safety to the public and road users. When the oak tree in danger of falling recommend Traffic Office that you are not staying near the oak tree right now.

Residents and commercial traffic will have access to parking garages and loading docks, even after shutdown.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

Print view this post

#3)  Re: TV Oak in Stockholm May Be Cut Down

Postby edfrank » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:09 pm

3 min in i programmet TV-eken svag eller ej
25/11 19:15 - ABC | SVT Play

http://svtplay.se/v/2618781/abc/25_11_19_15?cb%2Ca1366518%2C1%2Cf%2C-1%2Fpb%2Ca1366516%2C1%2Cf%2C-1%2Fpl%2Cv%2C%2C2618799%2Fsb%2Cp103287%2C1%2Cf%2C-1
svtplay.se

Senaste nytt från Stockholms län och Uppsala. ABC-nytt sänder nyheter, sportresultat och väderprognoser. Kolla när du vill i SVT Play.  (Story begins 3:08 into video)

tv_tree2.JPG

tv_tree.JPG

edfrank
Site Admin

Print view this post

#4)  Re: TV Oak in Stockholm May Be Cut Down

Postby edfrank » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:11 pm

Mark Evans on Svenskt Trädforum

Arnie Oakleaf on the left and Chopalong Cassidy on the right. Cowboys.
The guy on the right wasn't keen on being caught on camera.

tv_tree3.jpg

edfrank
Site Admin

Print view this post

#5)  Re: TV Oak in Stockholm May Be Cut Down

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Alas.

What can you say?
jamesrobertsmith

Has Liked: 517 times
Has Been Liked: 117 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: TV Oak in Stockholm May Be Cut Down

Postby Rand » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:31 pm

jamesrobertsmith wrote:Alas.

What can you say?

We can all go out, sit on the stump and congratulate ourselves in how safe we feel.

For this message the author Rand has received Likes :
jamesrobertsmith
Rand

Has Liked: 266 times
Has Been Liked: 372 times
Print view this post

#7)  Re: TV Oak in Stockholm May Be Cut Down

Postby edfrank » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Jon Hartill
This is the computor wind model simulation for the actual oak in the actual street with simulated wind loading for 33m/s

Jon Hartill
The the main problem due to the 40% reduction of relative stem strength, as we see it is torsion. According to the data a 40% reduction in torsion moment can be acheived by reduction pruningof the tree in the light blue areas. This will give the tree a measurable high margin of safety. Those that understand the complex biological processes of retrenchment in ancient oaks will perhaps understand that the tree is making this bio dynamic adaptations its self although the entire process may take 150-200yrs.

tv_01.jpg

Jon Hartill - Svenskt Trädforum

Geometric moment (Wg):
without consideration of internal decay and other damages as a gray line (default)

Weighted moment (Ww):
with consideration of internal decay and other damages as a red line (default)

Relation moment:
Residual moment of resistance (Ww/Wg), a measure for the remaining bending resistance of the trunk/branch under
consideration. A reduction of values to the 50% line means that the tree has lost 50% of its ability to resist wind loads.

Tree species Eng. Oak, Quercus rob. Tree height 16 m Trunk diameter 175 cm Bark thickness 3 cm Location city Crown shape Heart shaped crown Avenue tree no Net trunk.  These are the mechanical graphs with associated explanation. The maximun net relative strength loss is only 40%. This data has been reviewed by Frank Rinn the inventor of the resistograph, perhaps the most welknown wood srength inspection instrument. He has said that the data, and the information is absolutely reliable.

tv_02.jpg

tv_03.jpg

Jon Hartill

Complete 3 d tomograph data for the massive stem and main fork from 10cm above soil to 4.20m. The readings have been done separately by Daggfeldt and we have the same results. Using 97 individual senors we have made over 47000 run time readings of the stem structure, the information data is so large that i will not be able to rotate the image today for the conference, the computer memory is not big enough!

tomograph.jpg

Jon Hartill
Our recommendations i guess will be posted by Tobias after the press conference, these are the results we have, feel free to make you own assessments based on the data and the actual photography of the stem sections. Traffik kontoret never contacted me to see any this information.
edfrank
Site Admin

Print view this post

#8)  Re: TV Oak in Stockholm May Be Cut Down

Postby edfrank » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Jon Hartill
Critc of the Solfjeld raport.

Jon Hartill Arborist, Vikki Bengtsson Ecologist, Gerrit Jan Kiezer Mycologist, Tobias Fischer ,Arborist

The following points summerise the groups views.

• In the rapport Root decay is blamed for low tree stability , low vitality and potential risk.

Solfjeld has not inspected any roots and cannot know that root rot or death is present.

• The report goes on to speculate that root death is the cause of low vitality and branch death.

There are many reasons for the single dead branch. Single branch death does not indicate instability in roots and is not justification to fell an ancient tree.

Is it also possible that the heavy reduction pruning in the last eight years and the subsequent reduction in photosynthetic leaf area could be an alternative cause of branch death in an ancient tree?
The standard recommendations for tree work to ancient trees are to spread pruning over a longer period of time (Read, 2000) due to their more limited capacity to respond. This has not been mentioned in the report.
Trees are autotrophic and energy for their metabolism comes from the leaf. Root decay and die back are unlikely to cause single branch death of the type visible here, but more likely shoot death and tip dieback over the entire crown.

• The report suspects methane asphyxiation of the roots.

Root death and the fine root methane asphyxiation mentioned in the report, would also affect the uptake and transportation of water and macro -nutrients which would cause early leaf fall, obvious leaf discolouration or chlorosis . Recent photographs of the tree in late summer 2011 do not show this characteristic.
• The rapport makes unsupported assumptions that thin foliage is a result of poor vitality.

The thin foliage, the dieback of branches or twigs and the only partially compensating epicormic growth can be attributed to the diminishing presence of tree species specific ectomycorrhizal symbionts connected with the roots and the tree's transport system and with this phenomenon, the associated reduction of the uptake of water and nutrients/minerals necessary for producing living tissues . This does not make the tree a hazard.

• The report states that the leaf area is not sufficient to support a healthy tree.

This may also be a consequence of the natural aging processes of ancient oaks, whereby the crown goes through a phase of retrenchment (Fay, 2002). This is supported by the fact that there is partial epicormic growth in the inner crown. The process of retrenchment results in thinning in the external branches that reduce potential wind load exponentially increasing the relative strength of the supporting stem and branch wood. This is a natural normal process visible in all ancient oaks and they can go through this process many times over several centuries (Fay 2002, Read 2000, Raimbault, 2006, 2007).
The retrenchment process naturally reduces the wind loading in the upper crown and also in areas where there is decay This is why old oaks can become extremely hollow yet retain a high typical tree stability.

• The report makes incorrect conclusions on the parasitc behaviour of the macro fungi identified.

To begin with, due to Trafikkontorets error in identification of the macrofungi present and the assessment of their tree species specific wood degrading strategies, some basic errors were made, that invalidated and biased the outcome of the investigation on the condition and stability of the oak.

It was stated, that the trunk at greater height was white rotted by the perennial biotrophic parasitic tree species specific Phellinus robustus , which turned out to be the perennial, partially sterile fruiting brown rotting tree species specific Daedalea quercina (source Tobias Fischer).

The implications of the panicfruting in terms of development of the decay was overlooked and not taken into consideration neither was the whole tree assessed for further fungal activities (Ganoderma, lipsiense or something that really would compromise the trees stability.). The lower stem was completely omitted. (Youtube film evidence of Solfjeld inspection)
Daedalea quercina is a perennial tree species specific necrotrophic parasitic, although mostly saprotrophic brown rotter in/on oak, decomposing the heartwood (of the trunk of upright standing trees ) at greater height , of fallen trunks that are decayed and hollowed in a way comparable to what is caused by L. sulphureus, which also can be present in other parts of the tree (trunk base, major branches) then D. quercina is). ( Source Gerrit Jan Kiezer)

• The report incorrectly interprets Fistulina hepatica as a cause of root butress decay.

The presence of an annual fruit body of the tree species specific Fistulina hepatica and the bark and cambium necrosis caused by its mycelium at the base of the trunk was misinterpreted as the tree losing a major root/buttress and being at risk of tipping over, which is utter nonsense, because Fistulina hepatica never has been responsible for the (wind)throw of an oak (or sweet chestnut), with which it has an unique relationship investing in both the tree and the fungus to grow old together.
After felling, the stem cut turned out to have a respectable T/R ratio, which was to be expected from the primal stage of brown rot caused by the vinegar acid "consuming" mycelium of Fistulina hepatica. As all three brown rotters present, including Laetiporus sulphureus , are part of the second phase of 200-300 years of the tree species specific ecosystem and life cycle of Quercus robur, this was "preparing" the tree to enter its third phase of yet another 200-300 years,

An old oak was felled, that had just entered the second phase of its life cycle and could have become a veteran of 600-900 years old, if the crown had been reduced in two stages and because of the enclosure by a narrow circular stone wall, ( the well around the stem) degraded root system had been given the space to restore its roots and their associations with more or less tree species specific ectomycorrhizal macrofungi that are needed and that are essential for the revival of the tree as a whole. ( Source Gerrit Jan Kiezer)

• The report completely ignores this well documented role fungi play in ancient oak retrenchment.

The complex relationship and the role that the fungi present have in the ageing retrenchment process (such as Laetiporous sulphureus, Fistulina hepatica and Daedalea quercina) are not mentioned. These species are common in ancient oaks and most commonly are involved in slow decay of the heartwood only. (Rayner, 1993,Schwartze, 2001) . Visual comparisson of Picus tomography taken 2003 with Arbortom 2011 are remarkable similar in density patterns although no relative strength loss assessments were recorded of the 2003, 2006 picus tomographs. The question remains therefore, why undertake the 2003 and 2006 tomography if no relative strength measurements are recorded?

• The report states that the cable system is correct.

No cable load calculations were made when the systems were installed therefore their security and the maximum loads they were exposed to remain unknown. The security of the systems cannot be assessed accurately now or retrospectively therefore doubt has arisen over branch stability and the cable system. This does not mean the branches will fail or unacceptable risk exists.

• The report claims that the tree could be a risk in wind.

Any qualified wind load assessment on the structure of the tree (taking account of the fact that the tree is sheltered amongst high buildings) is missing entirely from the report. There is no evidence to support this.

• The report states that stem decay is advanced.

There is no mention or calculation of of the presence of large areas of high quality compression wood and the potential for this compensating for any cellulose degradation that may have occurred.

• The report does not include any inspection of the stem lower than 2.50 m

A structural assessment of the lowest 2.50 meters of the stem and main roots is completely missing in the report.
As a structural tree assessment, this in its self negates any finite conclusion and renders the report entirely invalid in its findings. The lower stem is the main structural component of the tree along with the roots. No objective assessment has been made of their status.

• The report contains no data and the conclusions are totally unsupported.

Data from the resistograph drilling is completely absent from the report, including the locations at which the data was extracted.
Observations of structural weakness are not supported by any data as evidence.

This data is vital when undertaking stem load calculations from wind . The report cannot reach any reasonable conclusions regarding stability in storm winds, gusting, calibration of resonance forces, torsion forces and drag coefficients.

There is no accurate assessment of:
1. wind force loads on the crown,
2. the crown area,
3. stem bending moment,
• The report fails to carry out Quantified risk assessment if percieved tree hazard.
No trees are perfect, and an arborist can find faults in any tree.
Even apparently heathly trees can fail. The report fails to assess the likelyhood of the percieved hazards occuring and the probability that damage will occur.
It does not set the risks in perspective and therefore is biased.
The percieved risks have instead been exaggerated and not set in perspective with the other risks that Stockholm citizens engage with daily. For example the likely hood of trafik accidents ,or violent crime. Statistics would probably demonstrate that these are amuch greater risk than being hit by a tree.
• The report makes conclusions which are not supported by any evidence other than personal observation. Whilst observation is part of the evaluation process instruments and their data must be used and the data recorded, to support conclusions.
• The conclusions of the report are not appropriate management solutions for this tree.

Ancient oaks of this size and age are very rare, making up less than 1% of the existing population of ancient and special trees in Sweden.
There are around 1100 in the whole of Sweden of the same size as the TV-eken of which half are considered to be in good condition .

Each ancient oak is a unique living ecosystem, equivalent to a tower block, with a unique collection of residents, From the smallest to the largest – tiny beetles living in the wood which the tree no longer needs to the woodpeckers and bats feeding on the insects to the fungi creating the holes in which they live.
Some of the species associated with ancient oaks are protected by the European Habitats and Species Directive (Bats, Osmoderma eremita for example)
In a nothern European context, Sweden and the UK have a huge responsiblity for conserving their ancient oak trees and the rare species associated, because so many have been lost from other countries as consequence of occupation during the First and Second World Wars.

Even if Sweden has a good number of ancient oaks left by comparison it is still only 1% of what was here 150 years ago, therefore it is vital to conserve as many as possible and treat each with the care and respect they deserve.

This is reflected in the Action Plan produced by The Swedish Environmental Protection Agency for trees worthy of conservation.
Ancient trees have a fantastic survival ability. They are a living recycling system and can adjust to their environment in a way we humans are unable to do.
The dead heart wood in an ancient tree is no longer so vital for stablility due to the fact that trees develop wide stems, broader at the base than the top and the crown grows downwards.
The dead heart wood in the centre of the tree, then decays in an amazing and poorly understood relationship between the tree, fungi and insects.
The fungi and insects release nutrients from the dead wood back into the soil which the tree can then re-cycle to live for another hundred years.
This tree was in relatively good health.

Conclusion of the review group.

• The report contains no data to review.
• Omits major structural parts of the tree,
• Seriously misinterprets fungal interactions,
• Contains major flaws in diagnoses structural decay.and relative wood strength.
• Makes entirely the wrong recommendations.

It does however say that the kommun can ”turn their backs” and do nothing.
We agree with this in part, as the situation was not acute and the tree was not immediately hazardous to public safety.

This tree was in effect unique, as historically important and culturally relevant as any Rembrant painting or Michael Angelo ceiling.
The unnecessary destruction of this ancient oak, on the basis of the content of this report, is unacceptable by any standards of competent management.

Jon Hartill .
Vikki Bengtsson.
Daniel Daggfeldt.
Gerrit Jan Keizer.
Tobias Fischer.

Hallé F. (2007). Reiteration, the key concept. Treework Environmental Practice Seminar VII Tree Morphology (Part 2); June 2007

Raimbault P. (2006).A basis for morpho-physiological tree assessment; Tree Morphology 2006; Treework Environmental Practice Seminar V.

Raimbault P. (2007) A basis for morpho-physiological tree assessment. Treework Environmental Practice Seminar VII Tree Morphology (Part 2); June 2007

Rayner A. (1993). New avenues for understanding processes of decay. Arboricultural Journal; 17: 171-189

Read, H.J. (2000) Veteran Trees: A guide to good management. English Nature, Peterborough.

Schwarze, F. (2001). Development and prognosis of decay in the sapwood of living trees, Arboricultural Journal, vol 25, pp321-327

Lonsdale, David. 2003. Overview of techniquesand procedures for assessing the probability of tree failure. Conference presentation. Tree
Statics and Tree Dynamics: New Approaches.July 21–22, 2003, Westornbirt, Gloucestershire,UK.

Mattheck, Claus, and Helge Breloer. 1994. The Body Language of Trees. A Handbook for Failure
Analysis . HMSO, London, UK.

Mattheck, C., K. Bethge, and D. Erb. 1993. Failure
criteria for trees. Arboricultural Journal 17(2):

Mattheck, C., K. Bethge, and I. Tesari. 2006. Shear effects on failure of hollow trees.

edfrank
Site Admin

Print view this post

Return to Sweden