Sweden - Välkommen till Trädportalen - The Tree Gateway

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Sweden - Välkommen till Trädportalen - The Tree Gateway

Postby edfrank » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:58 am

http://www.tradportalen.se/

Välkommen till Trädportalen - Welcome to the Tree gateway

Trädportalen är en samlingsplats för uppgifter om skyddsvärda träd. Portalen är utvecklad och drivs av ArtDatabanken på uppdrag av Naturvårdsverket. Portalen öppnade i november 2008 och är fri att använda för alla.

Ambitionen är att portalen ska innehålla data från större inventeringar som genomförts, i första hand av länsstyrelser och andra organisationer. Även privatpersoner är välkomna att bidra med information om nya träd eller uppgifter om redan registrerade träd.

Welcome to the Tree gateway

The Tree Gateway is a web-based database for collecting reports on veteran trees and other trees worthy of protection. Especially old trees, giant trees, hollow trees and pollards are of interest.

The information is based on citizen science as well as work done by institutions and authorities, and open to anyone who wishes to contribute their observations. The Tree Gateway is developed and run by the Swedish Species Information Centre (ArtDatabanken), on commission by the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency (Naturvårdsverket).

During 2009 import of larger data sets, gathered through large scale surveys conducted by the County boards, will be executed. The trees can be monitored and new observations on recorded trees can be made by volunteers or professionals. Of course, also new trees can be added. The data is presented in tables as well as on maps and satellite images. Data can be exported for other purposes.

The aim by collecting and presenting information about valuable trees is conservation of biological diversity, but also care of other public interests. We hope the information will be used in land management and society planning.

You are most welcome to inform us about your opinion of the web site. Contact information can be found at the bottom of the starting page.

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 706 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Sweden - Välkommen till Trädportalen - The Tree Gateway

Postby PAwildernessadvocate » Sun May 20, 2012 5:46 pm

I read about this last fall when it happened, but never bothered to post the article for one reason or another. All of a sudden, today I randomly decided to post it after all:

http://www.thelocal.se/37578/20111125

Marking the death of Sweden's 'TV oak'

The old oak tree outside the Sveriges Television (SVT) building in Stockholm quickly became Sweden’s most famous piece of vegetation, as tree huggers in vain tried to save it from its maker.

But despite around the clock watch, the “TV-eken” oak tree, eventually had to go, to protesters’ wild despair.

The “TV oak”, also known as the "Radio oak" was among the oldest oak trees in Sweden’s lush capital, and also among the top 100 in girth, measuring 5.8 metres around the trunk, according to the tree's extensive Wikipedia entry.

An illustration from the 1850s shows the already massive tree before its surroundings were urbanized.

Where the massive oak, which might well have witnessed the founding of Sweden once stood, only a large stump surrounded by gravel remains.

The oak was estimated to be between 500 and 1,000 years old.
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson
PAwildernessadvocate

Has Liked: 166 times
Has Been Liked: 72 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Sweden - Välkommen till Trädportalen - The Tree Gateway

Postby PAwildernessadvocate » Sun May 20, 2012 6:26 pm

Here's the stump of the "TV Oak" after it was cut down:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDFsCIu7Hrc[/youtube]
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson
PAwildernessadvocate

Has Liked: 166 times
Has Been Liked: 72 times
Print view this post

Return to Sweden