Trees as Envionmental Historians talk - Greenwich, CT

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Neil

Trees as Envionmental Historians talk - Greenwich, CT

Post by Neil » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Dear NTS,

Apologies for the long absence. We have a 1-yr old sapling and, well, that takes some time out of one's day [good use of time, mind you].

For those near Greenwich, CT, I wanted to alert you to a talk I am giving at the Greenwich Historical Society on Thursday night that you might be interested in attending. Details are here and below: http://bit.ly/S8cNOZ - it is being hosted by four groups: Greenwich Historical Society, the Greenwich Tree Conservancy, the Bruce Museum, and the Greenwich Reform Synagogue. Besides the theme in the title, another theme is the celebration of the Jewish New Year for Trees. Here is but one example - http://www.hillel.org/jewish/holidays/tubshevat/default - I will give my best to make it a good time.

neil

--------

The Science of History: Tree Rings and the History They Reveal
Held at Greenwich Historical Society

Neil Pederson, PhD, Lamont Research Assistant Professor, Tree Ring Laboratory, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University

In celebration of the Jewish New Year for Trees, Tu B’Shevat, Dr. Pederson will lecture on how ancient trees and timbers from human structures are used to broaden our understanding of history. From the rise and fall of the Mongol Empire to the construction of buildings and boats locally and globally, trees are the environmental historians, which reveal events long faded from human memory and historical documents; including how the tree ring cores taken from the Bush-Holley house reveal its construction history.

Sponsored by the Greenwich Historical Society, the Greenwich Tree Conservancy, the Bruce Museum, and the Greenwich Reform Synagogue.

Held at the Greenwich Historical Society
Vanderbilt Education Center, 39 Strickland Road, Cos Cob, CT

Doors open at 6:30 pm; lecture begins at 7:00 pm.
Admission is free but reservations are suggested. Please call 203-869-6899, ext. 10.

Rain/snow date: Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Return to “Events 2013”