Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#51)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi Ents,

Please see the attached Excel format for tree measurements we will submit to VA Tech Dendrology Lab database. The green cells show the mapping from our Excel fields to the database. They are not part of our format. This record layout will stay fixed for awhile to give John a chance to create the infrastructure around the database.

Any Excel worksheets you want submitted to the NTS-VA Tech database please send them to me for now at my email address: dbhguru@comcast.net or you can post them to this BBS thread. Your call.

Bob
Attachments
Edited NTS-VATech-TreeDatabaseImportForm.xlsx
(18.7 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 3 times
Has Been Liked: 1054 times
Print view this post

#52)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi Ents,

John Peterson is presently building the interface to the NTS-VA Tech big tree database. Here is what the public page looks like. It can be changed. This version is meant to illustrate what the public sees at the outset. It is simple, but functional. Remember, this is for the public. I'll present more screen shots of interface in a future post

Public Page.png

The Admin login requires a user name and password. This is where we will add/edit/delete trees, export, print reports. .

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes :
Larry Tucei
dbhguru

Print view this post

#53)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:49 pm

Ents,

Don Bertolette and I began testing the add a tree record screen this morning. I had cataract surgery yesterday and so I'm in the adjustment phase. Won't be efficient for about a week. But, I was able to add a new tree record. There are still bugs to work out. It's a work in progress. More detail to come.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes :
Larry Tucei
dbhguru

Print view this post

#54)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:33 pm

Ents,

The VA Tech-NTS Database is very nearly ready - at least in its first incarnation. We'll submit the names and email addresses of those of you who are interested in using the database to John Peterson by the weekend. Each member will get a user name and password and then can enter data one record at a time. To insure standardization, batch entry through Excel hould come through Don or me initially. Just send either of us the spreadsheet you want imported and we'll check its format before sending it on to John Peterson. We'll provide the standard format by posting a template worksheet to be used for importing. However, if you already have a lot of data in a spreadsheet, I'll convert it to the standard format for you if you wish.

Since VA Tech is offering us this service gratis, and John Peterson has many other responsibilities that take his time, keeping the workload on him to a minimum is necessary. In particular,we want to avoid adding lots of database maintenance and reporting options that require tedious programming. Everyone will have add and edit privileges, but deletions will be performed by Don or me initially. Tables will be field selectable and sortable by column. Members will be able to export records to Excel. Once a dataset is downloaded, we'll be available to help people with formatting and reporting options through Excel.  

The public will have limited access in terms of the fields they see. However, we must bear in mind that this database is also a service from us and VA Tech to the general public. For anyone who has looked at the VA tech Dendrology website, they'll see a well organized body of information on species identification. Don first introduced me to the VA Tech website back in 2013, I think. He made use of it in his Alaska Champion Tree website.

Presently, the following list shows those of you who have expressed an interest in contributing to the VA Tech-NTS database. I expect there are more. But if you are not on the list, you cannot add records.

NTS-VA Tech DB Participants

Name
Ray asselin
Neal Bamesberger
Brian Beduhn
Don Bertolette
Doug Bidlack
Bart Bouricius
Don Bragg
Darian Copiz
Erik Danielsen
Michael Davie
Eli Dickerson
John Eichholz
John Harvey
Bob Leverett
Jared Lockwood
Dale Luthringer
Matt Markworth
Kevin Martin
Joli McCathran
Tyler Phillips
Jess Riddle
Turner Sharp
Sam Stoddard
Michael Taylor
Larry Tucei
Elijah Whitcomb

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#55)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:05 pm

Ents,

The VA Tech-NTS-National Cadre database is now active. Presently there is only a handful of records in the database, but the number will rapidly grow. The list of contributors mentioned in the prior post can enter tree records. Batch import will initially go through yours truly to provide quality control. If any of you have questions, please feel free to communicate with me through my private email address: dbhguru@comcast.ent.

Only those signed in by John Peterson at VA Tech can add/edit trees. Don Bertolette and I provide John with eligible members. We will keep tight reins on membership to insure quality control. I wish we didn't have to be so selective, but we do.

The public can see selected data from the database by going to

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/NTS/search.cfm

We'll add system features as we go along. This is still very much a work in progress, but because of VA Tech's dendrology website and VTree app, we anticipate that we'll be able to reach far more people in the future and our data will have a greater impact. The partnership with VA Tech is one I have long sought. It is finally here. More to come.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#56)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:55 pm

Ents,

The VA Tech-Cadre-NTS Superlative Native Tree Database is fully active, although changes to it will undoubtedly be done. We are beholding to John Peterson for creating the database for us. It is easy to add and edit trees. Currently 27 people (I think) are signed up to be able to add/edit trees. The public can view the database at

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/NTS/search.cfm

If what the public sees now appears very limited, we'll add more public fields in the near future.

We'll import Larry Tucei's 243 live oak records in the near future. That will be the first test of importing a significant number of trees.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#57)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Ents,

The Native Tree Society - National Cadre - VA Tech Dendrology Superlative Native Tree Database is open for business - although still a work in progress in terms of some of the features we will eventually have. Nonetheless, individual tree records can be entered. The screen you see when you log in as an administrator looks like this:

Screen shot 2017-03-11 at 8.55.49 AM.png

Click on the "ADD A Tree" option and fill in the fields. To edit a record, put in a selection criteria, choose the fields you want to see, and click on "Display Matching Species". Scroll down to see the table containing the records that match the criteria. Click on the system generated record number (left column) to get access to that record. You can then edit the record. At the end, click on "Update This Tree". Most computer savvy people will figure this stuff out in short order.

So far Jared Lockwood, Erik Danielsen, and yours truly have added trees into the database. We're still working on the Excel import feature, which will allow large datasets to be imported into John's SQL database. Larry Tucei's live oak data will be the first batch input followed by Dale Luthringer's Cook Forest data, and then Elijah Whitcomb's dataset of NY trees.

Dr. John Seiler's vision is for a consolidated database featuring their Tree Identification system, the Superlative Native Tree Database, and Dr. Neil Pederson's dendrochronology datasets. Sweet.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#58)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby Erik Danielsen » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:58 pm

I've found it pretty easy to use so far. Definitely looking forward to the excel import feature, though- the interface is not terribly efficient for entering more than a couple records at a time. Thanks again for all your hard work on this.
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 235 times
Has Been Liked: 278 times
Print view this post

#59)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:26 pm

Erik, et. al.,

Yes, batch input will be the way to go when functioning. John Peterson is going to be limited in his time over the next couple weeks, but he will get the batch feature working. In the meantime, I've been entering a few records, selecting them for significance.

This is just the beginning of a partnership between VA Tech, NTS, and the National Cadre. At a point in the future, I hope they will agree to post summaries from the database on their Dendrology website. We just have to be cognizant that one person (John Peterson) is doing all this work for us at VA Tech. He is a forester by education and experience. He taught himself to program in SQL and along the way assumed the responsibility for building much of what they have now. John's a super dude.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#60)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:49 am

Ents,

Larry Tucei's 243 live oaks now display in the NTS-Cadre-VA Tech Dendrology superlative Native Tree database. As I've explained, the database is still a work in progress and will be for a couple more months. The biggest job is to assemble our data and put it in a standard Excel format. Yours truly is presently accepting Excel spreadsheets and reformatting them to the standard. Not always an easy job, but we'll get there.

Down the pike, I'm hoping we can get some standard reporting out of the database. Ideas are welcome.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Links to Other Tree Groups