Elms?

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

laurincy

Elms?

Post by laurincy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:01 pm

Hi All,
I live near an arboretum that has a couple of elm trees. The trees are cared for although I forget the specifics of the treatment. But they are healthy trees.

My question is about another tree in town with a somewhat vase shape. I know there are other species of elms in America. Could this tree be one of the other species?

Thx,
Laurie
Long View
Long View
Same tree but closer
Same tree but closer
Same tree, closest view
Same tree, closest view

Rand

Re: Elms?

Post by Rand » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:02 pm

Looks like classic American elm (Ulmus americana) to me.

As an aside there used to be tree of similar size in Findlay, OH, that, like this tree was starting to intrude into the curb and sidewalk space. And of course they just cut the whole thing down. I was so disgusted.

jclarke

Post by jclarke » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:25 am

Laurie, look at the twigs, fine and drooping, not as coarse as red elm which looks a lot like white elm (americana). There is a faint pale green haze from the flowers, and red elm has enough red floral bits that the bloom looks reddish from a distance. Look at the bark too, the fissures run together like chain link fence, not parallel like red elm. Red elm looks stiffer than white elm.

Rand, I would be disgusted too, if a lovely elm was cut. I grew up surrounded by about 90 white elms lining our driveway, and I feel kindly towards them, grin.
Hurricane Hazel took down a huge elm in our back yard when I was just a toddler, I still remember the groan and crash when it went down. It was at night and it woke the whole household.

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:39 am

The most foolproof test is to pull off a little piece of bark, break it in half, and look at the cross section. A red elm will be all red, an american elm will have red and white bands in the bark. In young trees, the american bark will also be much softer, almost corky feeling when squeezed. The red elm bark is pretty hard and woody.

laurincy

Post by laurincy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Thank you Rand and Clark! I will try the bark test. Both of your id tips are helpful. What is confusing is an elm on the grounds of the college where the branches have been allowed to droop almost to the ground. I'm guessing that with other trees, especially those along a roadside, those droopy branches are cut to keep from getting in peoples' faces. I have a few pics of the campus tree and it's branches, and flowers. I will post them later today or tomorrow. Thanks for your help!!

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”