tallest gingko?

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

sradivoy

tallest gingko?

Post by sradivoy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:10 am

Anyone know what the tallest recorded gingko biloba is in the states? Thanks.

Erik Danielsen

Re: tallest gingko?

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:32 am

At present the tallest I'm aware of is the specimen I've measured in Inwood Hill Park, Manhattan, to 118.7' tall. Because most ginkos are found in more maintained, open settings whereas this specimen has had to compete with the regrowth of a closed forest over the course of at least a hundred years since its initial growth as an estate tree, other specimens of similar height may be few and far between. I did inquire as to whether anyone had heard of any taller in the US, but no one had any. The tallest listed on Monumental Trees is a 103.7' tree in France. I imagine there are definitely taller specimens in Asia somewhere, and I'd imagine that if there are any further south in the US that have had to compete in a forest setting, they could certainly be taller.

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:27 am

From "The Meaning of Trees", by Fred Hageneder:

"The ginkgo tree at Yon Mun Temple near Seoul, South Korea is 200 ft. tall and said to be 1,100 years old."

200 feet seems verrryyy dubious, but I saw the same height listed on some websites.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:09 pm

This link has a good image of the Korean tree, based on the stone wall on one side and fence on the other there's no way it's 200' tall. The page lists a height of 41m (134.5'), which I think is not outside the range of possibility based on the image, but I'd put it visually at similar stature to the Hangman Elm in NYC, which is 111'.

http://www.travelwireasia.com/2010/11/d ... eonggi-do/

And another good image: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 4826ab.jpg

Fantastic tree!

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:07 pm

Thanks. Very unique and special species. Love the fact that this "living fossil" is the sole survivor within its class. Nothing quite like it. I have a street tree just outside my third floor window that's pushing 90ft. It's walled in by tall apartment buildings giving it a tall and slender "forest grown" appearance, much like the trees you would see at the bottom of a cliff. Conifers.org mentions one measured in 1968 at 32 m tall at Pierce Arboretum, Kenneth Square, PA. I have no idea what its status is now. Could be quite a bit taller by now, or broken top, or even dead.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:59 pm

Hmm- Pierce Arboretum is now part of Longwood Gardens. Their website lists just one large Ginkgo, right in front of the Pierce house- 89' tall at present, fairly old: https://plantexplorer.longwoodgardens.o ... 800-0331*A

L.Danton

Post by L.Danton » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:30 pm

Erik,
Have you measure the tall one in Gramercy park in Manhattan ? I remember they are the tallest i have seen.
Laurent

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:04 pm

Laurent, I had hoped to drop by there when it was open to the public on christmas eve but as it turns out that's the day NY italian families (like my girlfriend's) have their main christmas celebration, with seafood no less. Looking at aerial images right now, though, it's clear that streets go right around it on all four sides. I'll bet I can measure that one without even having to get access to the park. Now, I have no excuses if I don't have it measured within the month.

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:03 pm

I have a feeling Erik has the tallest one in the States at 118.7'. The tallest I've come across in NC was 96' about three years ago. Longwood would have been my best guess for a taller one but the link shows it was measured at 89'. I doubt Harvard could beat it but it is a possibility. I would assume that 99+% of ginkgoes would live in open settings.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:34 am

Just dropped by Gramercy Park- fortunately the ginko that was clearly the tallest was easy to sight through the fence. I'll upload a photo when I'm at a computer but for now I'm happy to confirm a height of 110.9 feet, which makes it the second tallest measured ginko in the states as well as second tallest we have sine measurements for anywhere. Great tree.

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”