Pioneer Species in Developed, Disturbed Areas

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Joe

Re: Pioneer Species in Developed, Disturbed Areas

Post by Joe » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:58 am

Speaking of tree-of-heaven, a plant seldom seen in western Mass.- it may be invasive, but I found respect for it once when I saw it in NYC- it had rooted at the bottom of a sidewalk grating- probably growing in scum and cigarette butts. Any plant wanting to live that much- deserves my respect.
Joe

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:06 am

Lucas,

Thanks, I'll read more into those links. Looks interesting.
http://eatonrapidsjoe.blogspot.ca/2015/ ... t-14s.html

another good one of his
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:09 pm

Joe wrote:Speaking of tree-of-heaven, a plant seldom seen in western Mass.- it may be invasive, but I found respect for it once when I saw it in NYC- it had rooted at the bottom of a sidewalk grating- probably growing in scum and cigarette butts. Any plant wanting to live that much- deserves my respect.
Joe
It's amazing where trees can grow, so long as it is wet. Reminds me of something I noticed today up in NW Ohio. They layed fresh gravel along the berm of the country roads. Normally nothing grows there for several years and then the grass slowly creeps in. However, it was so wet this summer, that a scattering of cottonwoods took root, and grew a foot and more tall in the stuff.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:15 am

Rand wrote:
Joe wrote:Speaking of tree-of-heaven, a plant seldom seen in western Mass.- it may be invasive, but I found respect for it once when I saw it in NYC- it had rooted at the bottom of a sidewalk grating- probably growing in scum and cigarette butts. Any plant wanting to live that much- deserves my respect.
Joe
It's amazing where trees can grow, so long as it is wet. Reminds me of something I noticed today up in NW Ohio. They layed fresh gravel along the berm of the country roads. Normally nothing grows there for several years and then the grass slowly creeps in. However, it was so wet this summer, that a scattering of cottonwoods took root, and grew a foot and more tall in the stuff.
Nature is pretty tough- the "damage" we do to the Earth is only an inconvenience to us- not to "life on Earth" which will survive until the Earth is swallowed up by the dying sun as it turns into a red giant. Long before then, humans will move to other planets- and maybe they'll figure out how to push the Earth away from the red giant and keep it going for more billions of years. I'm a long term optimist- we have to be- we need to think in cosmic terms, not our short term convenience.
Joe

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”