Chalk Maple in NJ??

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

greenent22

Chalk Maple in NJ??

Post by greenent22 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:55 am

Looking at tree range maps I see that the Chalk Maple supposedly doesn't grow farther north than the Southern Apps or so and it is described as being rare across it's entire range, but I see to have found one in NJ. The forest is pretty old (oldest tree so far ring counted to 180+) and somewhat mixed in ages, no signs of cutting remain. It is very Sugar Maple rich, but also has a few Northern Red Oak, a few Yellow Birch, a couple American Basswood, some Black Oak, a couple to a few White Ash, a couple Ironwood, a Tuliptree, used to have a single Eastern Hemlock, a Beech in the main part and a lot in the swamp portion, a Walnut, a few hickory types of various sorts, but definitely dominated by Sugar Maple. So everything seems native and normal for the range, aside from the one apparent Chalk Maple (this one is located at the very edge of the woods, nearly right where lawn starts, a few feet in, close but not quite the edgemost tree of the trees).

So did some bird plop a seed at the edge of the forest that it got from a tree that someone had planted in some yard in the area? Did Chalk Maple perhaps actually range this far north naturally, but being so rare everywhere and the logging so heavy between this location and it's given range maybe they were wiped out before anyone noted a few patches of stragglers way up north??

It's very skinny with just a few branches coming out on the top parts, I didn't get a measurement yet, but I'd guess 7-8" DBH, 50'+ tall??

Will Blozan

Re: Chalk Maple in NJ??

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:18 am

Is the forest on a limestone substrate? How did you arrive at chalk maple as an ID? You will need to get some really good photos and samples as this is very interesting!

Will

greenent22

Re: Chalk Maple in NJ??

Post by greenent22 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:14 pm

Will Blozan wrote:Is the forest on a limestone substrate? How did you arrive at chalk maple as an ID? You will need to get some really good photos and samples as this is very interesting!

Will
I'll get some photos (and hope I didn't do something dumb like mistake a slightly unusual Red Maple for a Chalk Maple hah yikes, but the bark seems kinda of smooth and blotchy like the pic in the tree guide for Chalk Maple and the leaves, not one, seems to have the deep space between the front part and the two major side prongs, they all seem to have a wide angle spread there). The soil here is basically terminal moraine. The glaciers from the last ice age dumped tons of rocks and junk here.

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”