Massive Pine ID Help

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

bbeduhn

Massive Pine ID Help

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:21 pm

These pines are located at Airlie Gardens, in Wilmington, NC. The elevation is from 10 to 20 ft. The property borders the tidal basin and is just several hundred yards from the intracoastal waterway. I incorrectly assumed these to be ancient longleaf pines and incorrectly guessed that longleafs had shorter needles when they're very old. The cones are too small as well. They thrive in drier, sandy soils where the soil actually appears to be raised around the bases. They get quite large but have a knotty form. They do not appear to be loblolly or longleaf or even the hybrid of the two, Sonderregger.

I haven't heard back from the naturalist at Airlie. Hopefully, he'll respond with the correct species but I wanted to put it out there for our few coast experts. Will suggested either sonderregger or slash pine but we mountain tree guys just aren't experts on the coastal trees. I failed to get samples of the cones.
1-wilmington 043.JPG
11'3" cbh
11'3" cbh
1-wilmington 051.JPG
Osprey nest in tree
Osprey nest in tree
Attachments
10'3" cbh
10'3" cbh
108'
108'

Jess Riddle

Re: Massive Pine ID Help

Post by Jess Riddle » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:15 pm

Brian,

Those really look like loblolly to me. The bark isn't red enough for slash, and pond pine tends to hold a lot of short cones in the crown. I've been to the coast recently and measured all the species of pines that grow down there, and the structure of your trees reminds me of the loblollies down there.

Jess

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:27 pm

Jess,
The bark was similar on the smaller pines as well, nothing like I would expect from loblolly. The form is completely different from the loblollies I've seen in the mountains but perhaps they grow differently in other soils. As big as they are, loblolly makes sense and if they fit the forms you measured, you're probably correct.
Thanks,
Brian

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Brian, Jess- It does look more like a Loblolly than a Slash. What a funny looking crown though. Pond Pine has a much smaller bark plate and Slash has a more redish brown tint to the plates. Brian- Slash needles are longer than Loblolly and the cones are smaller, Pond cones are even smaller almost round. One thing more when I was in N.C a few years back a Long Leaf Pine at Vanderbuilts Estate caught my eye, it had bark much different than the LL's down here. I remember looking at the tree a long time- the bark was different but the needles and cones were the same as its deep southern cousin. I think it was because of its most northern location. Larry

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:54 pm

Looks like good ole Loblolly to me. Any needle pix?

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:56 pm

On second glance, this could be shortleaf. The needles and/or cones would be a dead giveaway.

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”