Silver Maple?

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Tyler

Re: Silver Maple?

Post by Tyler » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks for the help guys. I'll nominate it as a Freeman maple.

Tyler

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:33 pm

Steve,

Height record? Nice tree!

Will

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:37 pm

Will-

Yes, this would be the height record for Ohio, to my knowledge. It's in the Rocky River Metropark in Cleveland.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Steve,

That is an impressive height for a Freeman Maple. What have you found in terms of tall Silver Maples? As far as I know the only silver maples we have identified in NTS over 120 feet, are all within the Allegheny River Wilderness Islands or adjacent shorelines (I think there are five of them.) The tallest is just 128.9 feet tall. Here is a paragraph from our ARIW report on what we found.
“Silver maple is not a particularly tall species. The only specimens recorded over 120 feet (36.6 meters)in height in the ENTS database are all located within the focus area. The tallest known silver maple is 128.9 feet (39.29 meters) tall, 10 foot (3.05 meter) girth tree located among the knotweed jungle on Thompson’s Island. The largest girth for a silver maple is from a tree located in Granby, CT with a girth of 19.8 feet (6.04 meter) and a height of 92.6 feet (28.29 meters). Within the study area the fattest silver maple was a tree found on King Island at 18.1 foot (5.52 meter) girth, and 104.3 feet (31.8 meters) tall. There is a strong tendency for silver maple to form multitrunk trees where the original trunk has been damaged or broken by flooding and flood debris. The largest multitrunk specimen was found on the downstream end of Thompson’s Island. The tree consisted of a merged mass of 7 to 9 trunks to a height of 8 to 9 feet high with a combined circumference of 24 feet (7.32 meters), and a height of 108 feet (32.92 meters). Several other large multitrunk specimens were located elsewhere within the study area.
Edward Frank

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Ed-

I don't have access to my records right now, since Mitch is re-organizing the database site, but I can't recall measuring any silver maples over 120'. It seems , around here at least, silver maples have poorer form than red or Freeman maple, often being multi-trunked and less vertical.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

George Fieo

Post by George Fieo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:11 pm

Ed,

I measured two silver maples on Andruss Island back in November 2010 at 11'9" x 120' and 11' x 119.5'. The island is in the Schuylkill River along the Chester/Montgomery County line in Pa.

George

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”