Ash twig ID

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

wrecsvp

Ash twig ID

Post by wrecsvp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:00 am

Hi all,

Attached are a few photos of the same Ash twig.

I think it has "textbook" characteristics of Black Ash (F. nigra), although I find the textbooks that I see don't offer conclusive dianostic characteristics. The tree had already dropped its leaves and it is too small to display characteristic bark yet (corky or otherwise) or bear seeds (even if it is "female") so all I had for ID purposes was the twig.
A very experienced colleage thinks it is Green Ash (F. pennsylvanica) based only on these photos. He raised the objection that the site was inappropriate for an acidophilic tree, such as Black Ash, to be. The site (Ottawa, Canada) is partly sunny/shaded along a creek with a mix of mostly hardwoods and some softwoods. Most of the canopy trees at the site are Green Ash, and I didn't see any mature Black Ash which supports his ID to an extent.

I would appreciate any further opinions.

Owen
Attachments
Ash twig 4
Ash twig 4
possible_black_ash_6_lowres.jpg (6.65 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Ash twig 3
Ash twig 3
Ash twig 2
Ash twig 2
Ash twig 1
Ash twig 1

edfrank

Re: Ash twig ID

Post by edfrank » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:25 am

Owen,

Sorry, I have not been on the BBS for a few days and did not see your post to approve it.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Chris

Re: Ash twig ID

Post by Chris » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:24 pm

I like Black Ash too. I noticed the gap between terminal and lateral buds [in Green and White, little to no gap].

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”