Not an ID...how to pronounce latin names?

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

swamp_rattler

Not an ID...how to pronounce latin names?

Post by swamp_rattler » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:25 am

I was just curious...
I like latin names (as they are quite useful in herpetology) but always find it difficult to pronounce them. I was wondering if there are any books that have things spelled out phonetically to assist newbies. I guess I could also learn latin, haha.

I did find this book, that covers trees (enlarge the photos and you can see how the scientific name is written phonetically):

http://treeblog.hansels.net/2011/04/the-tree-book.html

It's pretty basic though. Just wondering if there are any other botany guides that assist in such pronunciation.

Thanks!

-Jared

Matt Markworth

Re: Not an ID...how to pronounce latin names?

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:20 pm

Jared,

If you're still monitoring this thread, I've learned a lot about pronunciation from watching the Don Leopold videos. Just search "Don Leopold" on Youtube and a host of videos will come up. He usually pronounces the genus and species near the beginning of the video, and many times also the family.

- Matt

Joe

Re: Not an ID...how to pronounce latin names?

Post by Joe » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:22 am

I studied Latin for a few years in high school. The pronunciation is pretty much exactly as it looks- no silent letters, no sounds that are difficult to say (the way we all have trouble pronouncing French or German or any Slavic language).
Joe

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”