American Beech- The Movie!

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

American Beech- The Movie!

Post by Jenny » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:47 pm

Not sure if this is tree id or "art". I wanted to see how the winter tree id booklet I'm working on would work as a video. This is a rough draft of my attempt.
Couldn't pull the range map that Jess suggested using off the net so I still have the other one. Ya know - trees are damn hard to photograph well. I get frustrated. And then so few fit all the aspects of a written description anyway. I do love the final pic I got of the bud and the open nut on this beech though.

Happy Passover to anyone celebrating.

Jenny

http://vimeo.com/10527331
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Larry Tucei

Re: American Beech- The Movie!

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:11 pm

Jenny, Tell me about it. The lighting is so difficult to get right when photographing a tree. Its either to dark, to light, to shady., etc. I take several photos from different angles mostly keeping the sunlight at my back. Cloudy days seem to be the best time for me. Those Live Oaks are hard to photograph, they are so big lighting really plays some tricks with me. The stuff you are doing is cool, keep it up! Larry

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:47 pm

Jenny, were you unable to use the map in .pdf form, or were you unable to get it at all for some reason?
Here's a link, in case.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:13 pm

Jenny,

The video is very good. I think this should be in the Tree species and Families section. The ID section is for posting questions about what kind of tree this might be.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:48 pm

Jenny,

It is useful id with an artistic touch. Beech trees also turn a pretty orange-yellow in fall.

JP
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:59 am

Jenny,

I just looked at your American beech mover and was duly impressed. I think you are really on to something. The integration of digestible bites of information with images and music hold the attention. I believe this could be an excellent teaching tool for young people. I'm looking forward to your next movie.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll do Sweet Gum next - I managed to get some pretty good pix as there are many many of them at NYBG and they are pretty distinctive.

I really should try to add narration at some point.

Ed, thanks for moving the topic.

Jenny
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”