Is This A Red Hickory?

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

George Fieo

Is This A Red Hickory?

Post by George Fieo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:09 pm

NTS,

I found a hickory while documenting a site today but I'm not certain if it's a pignut or red hickory. The bark is thick and somewhat shaggy. The fruit is round with a thin husk and the nut is not angled. I know there has been some discussion in the past about pignut vs red. I have two questions. Which hickory is it and if red should it be listed as a red or as a pignut?

Thanks.

George
Attachments
P1030740.JPG
P1030739.JPG
P1030737.JPG
P1030738.JPG
P1030742.JPG

edfrank

Re: Is This A Red Hickory?

Post by edfrank » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:29 pm

George,

The older discussion on Red versus Pignut is discussed here: http://www.nativetreesociety.org/specie ... ickory.htm

I don't know if this helps.

Ed

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

George Fieo

Post by George Fieo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks Ed. I was hoping that the pictures would help.

George

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Your best hope is that one of the people more knowledgeable on hickories, like Jess or Will, will respond.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Josh Kelly

Post by Josh Kelly » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:12 am

George,

Bark wise, this looks like a good fit for red hickory (Carya ovalis) to me. It also looks like it could have a little age to it. I haven't been able to find an image of the nut in any of my resources, but I haven't checked the internet.

Josh

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression that the flakes curling out on the high side of the trunk were indicative of red hickory, while pignut and shagbark only push out on the low side:
red.jpg

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:51 pm

George,

when I visited my parents in southeastern Michigan for Thanksgiving my dad told me that he had eaten some of the nuts from one of the hickories in the front yard...and they were sweet. This surprised me because I thought all three of the hickories in the front yard were pignuts and I thought they were supposed to have bitter tasting nuts. In the past I had only tried identifying the two larger trees closer to the house and they always matched up to pignut hickories. They have tight bark and only five leaflets and I think one year I even noticed that the nuts of one of them had husks that only split half way to the base. Since my dad said the sweet nuts came from the third and smallest of these hickories I decided to give it a closer look. Well, it actually did have shaggier bark, but it was a little late for the leaflets. I tried tasting nuts from all three but the squirrels and wet ground made it tough. I only got meat from one of the nuts produced by the little tree and they did taste sweet.

Here are some pictures of the three trees that I took last weekend. The first is a close-up of the bark of the little tree that seems to be a red hickory.
Pignut 1.jpg
This is of the same tree looking up.
Pignut 3.jpg
This is the middle tree which is only about 10' from the previous tree. It seems to be a pignut. Close-up of the bark.
Pignut 4.jpg
Looking up at the middle pignut.
Pignut 5.jpg
This next tree is another 30' or so down the line and closer to the house. It also seems to be a pignut. Close-up of bark first.
Pignut 6.jpg
Lookin up.
Pignut 7.jpg
The red hickory, if that is what it is, doesn't seem to have bark quite as shaggy as yours. I have always been afraid to distinguish between these two because they are so similar and because a number of people either don't think they are separate species or that the characters are simply unreliable. So far I just call them all pignuts and I might note shaggy bark or something. Maybe in the future I'll attempt to separate them all out.

Doug

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:58 pm

George, It could be a Shellbark Hickory. The bark looks right. Larry

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Man these hickories confuse the heck out of me too. My default around here (Atlanta) is Pignut, but I know some of them are likely Red's or even Sand Hickory. We don't have any Pignuts (or Red's) nearly as shaggy as the above photo's though.

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”