Another odd-looking oak

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Another odd-looking oak

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:45 pm

NTS-

I came across this tree yesterday at Boston Run in NE Ohio---at first I thought it was a white oak with exceptionally broad lobes and/or shallow indentations, but on closer inspection the leaves of this tree turned out to be bristle tipped, although very inconspicuously, making it aligned with the red/black oaks. The leaves are large, rather thick in texture but not leathery, and not glossy on the upper surface. I've frequently seen foliage like this on oak seedlings, but this tree was about 30' tall and had the same type of foliage throughout, without leaves that become more deeply incised towards the top of the tree, which is typical for black oak and occasional for northern red. Other red oaks in this woods included northern red, black, and scarlet. Neither blackjack nor bear oaks are native to this part of the state.

Any ideas?
unknownoak1.jpg
Bristle tips barely visible on leaf margin:
unknownoak2.jpg
unknownoak3.jpg
unknownoak4.jpg
Steve
every plant is native somewhere

RyanLeClair

Re: Another odd-looking oak

Post by RyanLeClair » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:36 pm

These are common around me. The leaves always have that sickly look. Could it be a red/white hybrid, or black/white?

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Steve: Two questions - Is the tree of sprout origin? Is the tree in the understory?
TSharp

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:12 pm

ENTS-

Ryan--

It looks just like it could be a red/white hybrid, but that can't/won't happen--the subgenera can't hybridize.

Turner--

The tree has three trunks, each about 8'' in diameter. It's currently "in" the understory, but seems to not want to reside there, like a hornbeam or serviceberry.

Steve

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:34 pm

Steve, The leaves look like Swamp White Oak to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_bicolor Larry

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:58 pm

Steve: I believe the leaves are of Black Oak. I have seen very similar leaves on stump sprouts of Black Oak, but usually on smaller diameters then you have reported. If they are in the shade they can also get about twice the normal size for Black Oak.
TSharp

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:08 am

It reminds me of Blackjack Oak. But the leaves don't look quite thick enough. BlackJack Oak leaves sorta look like Post Oak but tend to be broader and heavier. I don't know if BlackJack is found as far north as Ohio. It is generally a southern tree.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:08 am

Steve,

The leaf shape and bark appear to be blackjack, but the leaf is definitely too thin. My guess is a misshapen or hybrid northern red. Looks like you might have to wait for acorns.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:01 am

It may be some kind of Hybrid- A link to Blackjack oak- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_marilandica Larry

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:40 pm

NTS-

Thanks for all the replies---I think the tree must be a red or black oak which looks aberrant due to a sprout response. If I can get back to the area this Fall, I'll look for acorns. The lack of any sheen to the foliage leads me to think northern red rather than black.

Steve

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”