Tree ID Help

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Tyler

Tree ID Help

Post by Tyler » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:04 pm

ENTS,

What species is this? I came across this tree on Pine Island. It was growing near some american holly and looked over 40' tall. At first I thought sweetleaf but the leaves look different. Thanks in advance.

Tyler
DSCF0531.jpg
DSCF0532.jpg

Steve Galehouse

Re: Tree ID Help

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Tyler-

Possibly Gordonia lasianthus, loblolly BAY.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Tyler,

Loblolly bay looks like it could be a match but so does sweetleaf... I would have thought the leaves would be more purple if sweetleaf, though. Do you have any more photos?

Will

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Steve,

It does look close to loblolly bay. I didn't know if that species had been documented in the park yet.

Will,

I don't have anymore photos of it. I know what you mean about the purple on the leaves. I saw a lot of sweetleafs at the state park yesterday with purple on them.

Tyler

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:04 pm

Tyler,

I don't see it listed on a park species list but it may have been recently discovered. If not, that is a great find! The habitat is decent and there is an arm of the species range that comes close to CONG. I would email the park folks and check it out. It is likely worth a return visit.

Will

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Will,

I have the coordinates of the tree if you need them.

Tyler

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:29 pm

Tyler,

I see what you mean about the leaves not looking quite right, but I still think the tree is a sweetleaf. The leaves look a little broad, but the rest of the characteristics look right for sweetleaf. Sweetleaf usually grow near the edges of wet areas or on the highest and best drained sections of floodplains. I think American holly in Congaree is also restricted to relatively coarse soils and avoids the lowest parts of the floodplain. Also, most of the large sweetleaf I have seen in Congaree grow in association with holly.

I haven’t seen loblolly bay at many sites, but I believe they typically grow in poorly drained areas with acidic, organic rich soils. On mature trees the bark is deeply furrowed, almost like chestnut oak. So I think the habitat and bark point to sweetleaf.
In any case, the tree warrants further attention and measurement. Congaree is home to some of the tallest and largest sweetleafs ENTS has measured, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there were taller ones.

Jess

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”