Comparison of Features of Oaks (Quercus spp.)

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:28 pm

http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages ... e-oaks.htm

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Re: Comparison of Features of Oaks (Quercus spp.)

Post by James Parton » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:09 pm

Ed, this will be very useful in identifying some of the many species of oak. Thanks! James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Marcboston

Post by Marcboston » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:54 am

Great! I am not all that familiar with Oaks outside of New England. This is a most useful page, good find Frank.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:43 am

Ed,

You are the hands down champion of finding useful material for us. This is a good starting point for what we could expand on by showing variations on the theme. The ideas are there to work with. We could add profiles of forest and open grown specimens, young, middle-aged, and old bark, leaf variations, etc. We have the technology. It is just a matter of finding the time. We've discussed such a project before. I'm thinking of taking on one species and following through with it, seeing where that leads.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:13 pm

Bob, ENTS,

Actually I am not the original source of many of these links on tree species identificatio. Michael Pace and several others who are studying dendrology, forestry, and botany are "freinds" with me on Facebook. They have posted many of the links on their Facebook feed and I have reposted them here along with related supplemental material I have found on the internet.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Marcboston

Post by Marcboston » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:21 pm

You should have taken the credit Ed! We would have never found out.

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”