Differentiating Longleaf from Slash pine

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Differentiating Longleaf from Slash pine

Post by James Parton » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:44 am

Larry, ENTS.

While here in the pan handle of Florida I hope to find and measure some Longleaf Pine. Longleaf and Slash are two species I am not very familiar with. Could someone tell me how to tell them apart. I know Longleaf has longer needles and larger cones than Slash pine does. Both have long needles though. Longer than Loblolly, which I am familiar with. In short what is the difference between Longleaf & Slash.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Re: Differentiating Longleaf from Slash pine

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:29 am

James, Longleaf bark is a slight gray with smaller plates. Slash has more orange-brown and larger plates.
Attachments
Longleaf
Longleaf
Slash
Slash

James Parton

Re: Differentiating Longleaf from Slash pine

Post by James Parton » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Larry,

Ditto! Thank you! Thanks to an interpretive trail in St. Andrews State Park I studied Slash Pine. I found no Longleaf there but I intend to visit Apalachicola National Forest, which has Longleaf/Wiregrass forests, before I return home on Saturday. I would have went today but the weather was nasty and rainy this morning/afternoon. It is improving at the moment. I have found no sizeable Live Oak, though the species is common here. A high-point to my visit to St. Andrews yesterday was my discovery of Sand Pine. None were as tall as those measured by Will Blozan last year but I got a thrill out of seeing this short-needled species for the first time.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”