A Hickory ID Request

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: A Hickory ID Request

Postby ElijahW » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Josh & Brian,

Thanks.  To keep from influencing the results, I'll hold off on giving my opinion just yet.  I really only have strong confidence about tree #4.  Traveling north of Syracuse, the only native hickories you're likely to encounter will be Bitternut and Shagbark, and even those species fade quickly once you get into the mountains.  This is unfamiliar territory for me, and I value greatly your expertise.  I'm excited to verify what these species are in a few months.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks
ElijahW

Has Liked: 209 times
Has Been Liked: 264 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: A Hickory ID Request

Postby bbeduhn » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Elijah,
I forgot how far north you are. Hickories do tend to look a bit different at northern latitudes than at southern latitudes. #1 doesn't look much like southern mockernuts but it does have a ropey appearance in its bark. #4 is a little perplexing. Fortunately, the nuts make them easy to tell apart with the exception of red and pignut. Mockernut has thick twigs. Your #4 is likely bitternut like you surmised. It's usually smoother barked but can look a little pignutty with squared off edges.

These two links cover hikories quite well.

http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/c ... kories.htm
https://extension.tennessee.edu/publica ... PB1810.pdf
bbeduhn

Has Liked: 1113 times
Has Been Liked: 474 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: A Hickory ID Request

Postby ElijahW » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:01 pm

NTS,

I have a number of updates to my earlier questions in this thread.  Firstly, on the topic of Hickory species present at Oakwood Cemetery, I asked Dr. Leopold in person a few months ago and received some helpful answers.  Mockernut is not found on the property, and the tree I posted photos of is Red, as Will surmised.  The tree I thought to be Mockernut was, in fact, Pignut.  

In regard to the numbered photos, I've learned the following:

1.)  #1 is not Mockernut.  The nuts I found were thin-shelled and lacked sharp ridges, which rules out Mockernut and Bitternut.  All leaves I found had 5 leaflets, which suggests, but does not prove, Pignut.

2.)  #2:  I haven't gotten back to this tree, but I think Red makes the most sense.

3.)  #3 actually fell down a few weeks ago, and I was able to see a lot of the canopy-level leaves up close.  All had 5 leaflets; however, I didn't find any nuts that I could reach, and what was on the forest floor I wasn't certain which tree it came from.  On this tree I'm leaning toward Pignut, but Red certainly was not ruled out.

4.)  #4 is Bitternut.  This was kind of a wildcard I threw in the mix, but already knew the answer.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks
ElijahW

Has Liked: 209 times
Has Been Liked: 264 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Tree Species, Families and Identification