Romanian family cutting TREE FODDER for animals Aug 2012

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Romanian family cutting TREE FODDER for animals Aug 2012

Postby edfrank » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Romanian family cutting TREE FODDER for animals Aug 2012 - Video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSkv-2H4ees[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSkv-2H4ees

Published on Aug 28, 2012 by thetreehunter

Grampus Heritage & Training trip to Romania Aug. 2012. We were so lucky to come upon this family in the process of cutting ash trees and elm to supplement their hay feed for their animals. This summer in Romania it has been the driest summer that anyone has ever known. Water is at an all time low and the important hay harvest is down by 50% so they have already (Aug 6th) started to cut the trees to feeed their animals.  They were cutting elm & ash (Rom -Frasin- Lat Fraxinus).

Rob McBride

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

For this message the author edfrank has received Likes :
Chris
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 703 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Romanian family cutting TREE FODDER for animals Aug 2012

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Some years back, when Serbs were being ethnically cleansed from what was once Yugoslavia, I recall seeing a Serb farmer in a video feeding his livestock for the last time before he and his family had to flee for their lives to Serbia. One thing that struck me--even through the horror of what was going on politically--was what he was feeding the animals. Not hay, but dried leaves and stems from trees and shrubs. Nothing like what we are accustomed to seeing fed to cattle and such here in the States.
jamesrobertsmith

Has Liked: 521 times
Has Been Liked: 117 times
Print view this post

Return to Romania